Some thank you's and my 19th and 20th pens.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from dmetri93

dmetri93

I just wanted to start by giving a shout out to all of you folks for being such a helpful and great community. I'm completely new to turning in general, let alone pen turning, and I've learned so much from these forums and see all the good you all do for each other and it's really inspirational.

I've also been on the receiving end of some of that good, already, and would be HUGELY remiss to not give a HUGE shout out to Michael, user MDWine. Michael came into a lathe from another woodworker who passed away, Mr. Carl Gagliadi. And already having enough machinery decided to give that lathe away. He posted about it here, I inquired, and a few days plus a 5 hour drive later and I had myself a new lathe, plus a bunch of extras (pen kits, wood, some plastics, other project kits). I know I've said it a lot already, Michael, but thank you again, SO much, for your kindness and generosity. And thanks, also, to Carl. May he rest in peace.

I haven't posted any of my other 18 pens on here because I've generally been unhappy with them. I'm something of a perfectionist. Though the engineer in me prefers to call it Quality Standards and Control.

The two I'm posting today, I'm about 90% happy with.

And I'm also posting them because they were the first that I used my new lathe to help make (My grandfather has been a lifelong woodworker, so I've been using his machinery prior).

So without further ado:

The first is a gun metal plated 30.06 bolt action kit (A kit I actually got from Michael, so another shoutout to him there!), with a lovely black walnut that actually came from a tree from my grandfather's childhood home.
20160828_224946.jpg
My only complaint with this pen is I didn't get the tubes quite squared up and there's just the tiniest of protrusions where the wood meets the metal sections.
20160828_224957.jpg
The second pen is a trimline kit with cedar wood.
I'm not sure how it happened, but there were a couple of spots that just looked dirty (I'm guessing from dust that I missed cleaning after sanding). Further, the tubes, again, were not quite squared up. Finally, the finish is bumpy. I've had a couple of pens this happened on, now, and I'm not sure what the cause of it is. It's almost like the wood soaked up all the CA in some spots but not in others and created heavily uneven spots. If anyone has any suggestions on what the cause of that might be and/or how to fix it, I'd be most appreciative.
20160828_224552.jpg
20160828_225155.jpg
So thanks again to Michael, and the late Mr. Gagliadi, and all of you who contribute regularly to these forums with all of the helpful info and helping out the new kids like myself.

MDWine

Good to see the goodies going to work Demetrius!

If I only posted pens I thought were great, you'd never know I turned at all! (we are our own worst critics)

Those pens look great! Most will never notice the small things we think are huge. As I told someone before, every project you work will get better and better, building on your knowledge and experience... cut yourself some slack!

Thanks for the shout and post... Carl was the benefactor to quite a many folks, and some yet to come!

Thanks Demetrius, and THANKS CARL!!

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Thanks for posting your photos, Demetrius. And thanks to Michael for helping out a new member the way you did. That's the sort of thing that really makes this forum special.

One possibility on the slight mismatch between blanks & components might be the pen mill. Some pen mills tend to grind away a little of the wood around the ends of the tube leaving just a tiny bit of tube protruding past the blank. When this happens, the blank won't be flush with the pen parts.

It's sometimes difficult to see that little bit of protrusion. You can use a straight edge across the end of the blanks to check for good squaring before assembly.

For that reason, and others, I have switched to using a sanding disk to square my blanks rather than a pen mill. Even after using a sanding disk, I follow up with a hand-held sanding mill to fine tune the ends.

I use Rick Herrell's offset sanding jig and his sanding mill.
http://www.penturners.org/forum/f172/custom-made-penturning-tools-accessories-92501/

Some other good ideas were posted in this thread:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/f14/how-get-perfect-length-tube-blank-every-time-142649/

Top Bottom