Some Sweetgum Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from StuartCovey

StuartCovey

So we (my family) milled a bunch of Sweetgum trees down in Texas a couple years ago and I have been using it for small projects a things.
Surprisingly the thought of making a pen out of it hadn't even crossed my mind until a couple days ago.
I had found some promising looking pieces when I was planing some and started to wonder what it would look like on a pen, so I set about making a couple. They turned out even better than I expected!
I love the black swirled lines through out the wood!

There's a Slimline pencil, a Stratus pencil, and a Jr Gent 2 fountain.

C & C welcome!

Slimline Pencil Satin Pearl Sweetgum-2.jpg Slimline Pencil Satin Pearl Sweetgum-4.jpg

Stratus Pencil Sweetgum-4.jpg Stratus Pencil Sweetgum-2.jpg

Jr Gent Gold Sweetgum Fountain-5.jpg Jr Gent Gold Sweetgum Fountain-4.jpg Jr Gent Gold Sweetgum Fountain-2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SDB777

Interesting darker tones. Anything applied to it?
Reason I ask, done a lot of American Sweetgum blanks, and most(if not all) were much lighter....

Scott (no finish on it) B

StuartCovey

Reason I ask, done a lot of American Sweetgum blanks, and most(if not all) were much lighter....

It has a CA finish. I know, this is definitely darker sweetgum. We milled two sweetgum trees, one was the typical lighter wood (like your pen) and the other was this color. It had some of the light around the outside of the tree, but that was it. It definintly surprised us when we started working with it.
I like it overall though!

By the way, nice pen!

Cwalker935

Very nice. I have made some pens from gum saplings that were almost pure white and some bowls from a larger tree that had a greenish tint. I picked up a couple of weathered pieces that had some spalting just this past week end. Hope they turn out half as well as yours.

SDB777

It has a CA finish. I know, this is definitely darker sweetgum. We milled two sweetgum trees, one was the typical lighter wood (like your pen) and the other was this color. It had some of the light around the outside of the tree, but that was it. It definintly surprised us when we started working with it.

By the way, nice pen!

I was blown away when I saw yours...like it a lot better, as it brings the hardware out better. Now I'm going to have to go searching for a dark colored log....

Was the soil clay by chance(where the tree was growing)??

Scott (nicely finished) B

StuartCovey

By the way, nice pen!
I was blown away when I saw yours...like it a lot better, as it brings the hardware out better. Now I'm going to have to go searching for a dark colored log....
Was the soil clay by chance(where the tree was growing)??
Scott (nicely finished) B

Thanks! I actually have no idea what the soil was like. It was about 4 years ago and I don't think we ever dug up the stump

Sprung

Very nice! I really like those! I've got a little bit of darker/figured sweet gum in my small stash and this makes me want to put a piece or two of it on some pens with the next batch I make!

LeeR

Very nice! I got some sweet gum blanks as "freebies" that filled the box on an order for blanks awhile back. I'll definitely have to try one out now.

Top Bottom