Some of that sweet oak I harvested a while back!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Drstrangefart

Drstrangefart

167275_137749119618495_100001502242963_226854_843330_n.jpg

This is from that oak I was asking about curing a while back. It's not totally cured out, and it was a bear to turn down. Had a blowout and had to re-do the bottom half, and need to wait a while before I do it again. Used a green kit to get something out of the more difficult to find homes for colors of kits I have on hand. I like how the grain turned out, just wish the moisture or whatever it was hadn't caused the tearouts that filled in with CA interrupting the grain right on top of an eye.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SDB777

What kind of oak is this? I know it's part of a crotch, but unsure if it's 'White Oak'.....regardless, looking good.

What did your moisture meter read on the piece you turned?

Scott (the challenge is fun) B

SGM Retired

Pens look great to me, is a moisture meter that critical for pen turning???I have been going around my farm and cutting Black Walnut, Grape Vine, Hackberry (spalted) and Pecan trees and making blanks. Have turned slime line pens off peacan tree cut down over a year now, will this pen go bad?

SDB777

Pens look great to me, is a moisture meter that critical for pen turning???I have been going around my farm and cutting Black Walnut, Grape Vine, Hackberry (spalted) and Pecan trees and making blanks. Have turned slime line pens off peacan tree cut down over a year now, will this pen go bad?

No, a moisture meter is not necessary....but it is useful.
Your wood has been drying for a year. That would generally be enough time for wood that is 1 to 1-1/2 inch thick to dry.

Scott (think I'll go looking for some oak) B

SGM Retired

I mean limbs were in the barn drying for that long, I just cut them up with band saw last week. What could happen if moisture is still there? Will they split or bow? I have a hard time thinking that something that thinly turned will come apart but that's why I'm still a begginer. Gary

Drstrangefart

What kind of oak is this? I know it's part of a crotch, but unsure if it's 'White Oak'.....regardless, looking good.

What did your moisture meter read on the piece you turned?

Scott (the challenge is fun) B

No moisture reader owned or used. I just wanted to see if I could get a pen out of it. It's been drying since a before Thanksgiving, if I remember correctly. It could well be white oak. I'm probably gonna hold off on turning any more of it until I have some kits that do the wood justice. I'm okay with the green enamel, but it really doesn't make whole pen "pop" in my honest opinion. It's a good slim kit, just not the best one for this job. I would rather have had the Rockler gold Slimline with the black accent on the clip for this one.

wizard

Allan, I really like that pen ! I think the color contrast looks good particularly with the white or light hue of the wood. It has the "green eco friendly" look. Brown enamel would also look good. Regards, Doc

Top Bottom