Some Spalted Maple

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from bally15

bally15

A chrome Virage Rollerball dressed is some nice Spalted Maple. The finish is BLO and CA. I had hoped for a very glossy finish but the more matte finish helps the colors pop.
Any advice would be appreciated

Attachments

• IMG_0802.JPG
    IMG_0802.JPG
    55 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_0801.JPG
    IMG_0801.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_0804.JPG
    IMG_0804.JPG
    24.7 KB · Views: 177
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OZturner

Excellent Pen Matt.
Great Blank, Beautifully Turned, and Fitted.
Using BLO, depends on how you apply it, and how much you apply.
If you use several Drops, and apply it on it's own to soak into the Wood, it will darken the wood slightly, it may also enhance the Contrast Colours in the wood.
Then after, you leave it for a considerable time to Dry and Tack off.
You can then apply CA on its own and with several coats, sanding in between and come up with a Colourful wood, and a Good Gloss Finish.
Whereas some Turners, advocate to put one or two small drops of BLO, onto the Pad, then with the two or three Drops of thin CA onto the BLO on the Pad, then apply that to the Wood.
With this the BLO acts as a Lubricant and allows, the CA to flow easily across the Blank.
I usually only use BLO on a wood that is extremely dry, to refresh up the surface, (like you would use a Moisturizer on your skin).
Mainly I use only CA without BLO, for a Fine High Gloss.
I also subscribe to the concept, that it is better, to impart to the bare wood the Highest, Finest Sheen I can through the sequence of abrasives, then through Micro Mesh.
The last couple, really impart a Burnishing Effect, to which the CA gives the Depth to the Finish on the wood.

Congratulations,
Brian

Last edited:
Instead of BLO... Try using Zinnser Sealcoat or similar dewaxed shellac. It's a great barrier coat and you won't run into the issues of trying to seal over an oil. When I wanted a really deep natural finish on my drums I would use a single coat of Waterlox modified tung oil, followed by Zinnser sealcoat, and THEN my top coat.

Top Bottom