Some Slimline pens ala Scott Greaves

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dominic Greco

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dominic Greco

Here is a picture of the second round of Slimline pens I turned over the weekend. The wood is from a large Silver Maple tree that was on the front lawn of my Mom and Dad's house. Mr brother and I actually have a friendly little running argument over which one of us planted this when we were little. :D

Back several years ago, a summer storm knocked down one of the larger branches. My Dad knew I was a turner and saved one of the largest limbs for me (he was great that way). However, it was too small in diameter for bowls. Instead, I used to as "resaw practice". I resawed the log into 1" thick slabs, stickered it, and stored it in the loft of my garage. Sadly, my Dad passed away from Cancer in Feb of 2003, and the tree had to be removed last year as it now posed a danger to the house.

When I poked my head up into the loft a week ago, I noticed this wood and it seemed fitting that I should use it to make something for all my brothers and sisters. And what better gift than some pens made from this tree? My Dad would have loved that!

One little problem,..counting my (2) brothers and (8)sisters, their spouses, their kids (15 of them), and my Mom (and not to mention me) brings me to a grand total of (34) pens. So far, I've completed (22) pens. Only (12) more to go. sigh!

To be blunt, turning Slimline pens can get downright boring. I did the first (12) using the center ring. But I remembered Scott Greaves' article in last Winter's American Woodturner Magazine and I looked up that issue in my "library".

The technique seemed easy enough. So I gave it a try. It sure made turning those next (10) pens a lot more fun that the first! The run of the mill Silver Maple isn't exactly what you would call a show stopper in the figure department (unless it's Spalted or Ambrosia Maple which this wasn't). The contrasting bands really help to dress up an otherwise bland looking pen.

The scrap was easy enough to some by. I had loads of Marado, Zircote, Mesquite, Walnut, Cherry, and Sycamore laying around. So I cut up some 3/4" x 3/4" x 1/2" thick pieces and drilled the 1/4" diameter holes just like Scott says in the the article. However, instead of just installing the block in between the upper and lower pen blanks, I used (2) extra bushings from some European pens to separate them. It spread them out and made turning details a bit easier.

Thanks for viewing
2004122021732_dg121904a.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Daniel

Dominic,
these pens drew a chorus of awes and oh wows from me, my wife and my son.
terrific accents withthe center bands. but I also like the wood itself very much. Your family will be trully plesed to receive these. I would be.

Scott

Great pens Dominic! I love the centerbands! Good idea to use the center bushings from the Euro. Your family is going to love these!

Serge - That article is reprinted here on the IAP site by permission of the AAW. It's in the article section. I think it's called something like "Why Penturning?"

Scott.

jkirkb94

You really have been busy! I really like what you have done to the simple slimlines. Thanks for the idea with the centerbands. This is something that I am going to try in future, especially since I have a zillion cutoffs. I think your idea with the extra bushings will make it easier[:)] Kirk[8D]

Dominic Greco

Thanks for the compliments everyone!

I managed to turn (6) more pens today. It would have been (8), but (2) were total train wrecks. Nothing to do to them but cut some more tubes and make new blanks. I guess that's what I get for trying to get more fancy.

wayneis

Very nice work but you miscounted, it should be 35, you forgot me :~( :~) As beautiful as those are anyone including me would love to have one. I think that your family will cherish them forever.

Wayne

Dave C

Dominic,
You are going to make there Christmas one to remember with your pens. Beautiful Pens and thanks for sharing the story that goes with the pens. Also if you want to win your little battle on who planted the tree tell your brother he will not get one until he saids you planted it.[:D]

Happy Holidays,
Dave

Dominic Greco

Whew! I'm done! I even managed to turn (3) extra ones for people I forgot to include in the original list (Myself included!) The total count for pens turned is up to 35. And to top it off, I turned about 7 more "center rings" to replace ones I did before and didn't like.

I know that's not a lot of pens to you veteran turners. But I sweated over each and every one. I also had a couple of pen blanks explode and needed to replace them fast. So it was a hectic pace for these last (3) days.

I'm taking a break tomorrow. Maybe I'll sleep in.....[:D]

Thanks again for all the compliments. If I get a chance, I'll post a picture of the pens being handed out. We have a big family get together on Christmas Eve and it will be a perfect photo op.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Your hard work for the benefit of your loved ones is a great tribute to your father. The dedication to insuring that no one was left out is a tribute to the fact that he also raised a great son. God bless you and your family this season and for many more to come.

Darley

Dominic, I will second Lou, because of you I learn something today, you did have an Olympic run to finish those pen for your family, who will, I'm sure like your craftmamship,

and a personal note for you ,

I wish you deep in my heart a Merry Christmas for you and your family. Thanks

Serge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom