Some Sierra's

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from VisExp

VisExp

In order of appearance:

"Circles in a Forest" - Bloodwood with soda can segment.

Cocobolo.

Koa.

Box Elder Burl.

Some of the pens had issues [V] The segmented pen is my first try at this design and I'm having a few alignment issues.

I was also having a terrible time with the finishing of some of the other pens. Mainly because of the blank getting stuck to the bushing and spoiling the edges of the pens. I have some ideas as to how I can make that better.

I have also been working on trying to improve my pictures.

Thanks for looking, as always, your comments and critiques are greatly appreciated.

ACT_6431.jpg

ACT_6432.jpg

ACT_6429.jpg

ACT_6427.jpg

ACT_6425.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

louisbry

Beautiful pens! The segmented one is very interesting. It is hard to tell what you have done from the pictures. Are you going to explain your method?

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Holy Smokes!!!!! The segmented one is fantastic. I can't imagine how you got it as good as you did. I'd love to know what you used to do the cutting.[:0]:D

I'm no expert at CA, but could you use a craft knife as a parting tool to seperate the blank from the bushings? Or put the finish on, with the blank between delrin centres?

igran7

WOW!!!!! The segmented sierra is fantastic! I've spent the last 10 minutes staring at it trying to figure out how in the heck you did that. Keith, would you be willing to post a tutorial? It is absolutely amazing. Great work.

JimBobTucson

I am very impressed, looks like a new king of the mountian. I will be watching for that new tutorial as well :D

BTW: Every since I started using Mylands Cellulose Sanding Sealer before appling the BLO/CA finish, I have not had any problems with seperating bushings from the tubes.

mb757

I really like the look of the segmented "Circles in a Forest". The problems with lining up the segments more than likely comes from the difference in the saw blades kerf vs the thickness of the aluminum. You may want to look into a thicker aluminum stock (or thinner blade) and see if that helps. Very nice work though, I'm impressed. Btw did you use a jig to make the cuts or was it free hand? If free hand even more impressive.

VisExp

Thank you for the compliments. I'm happy with the design of "Circles in the Forest", but not so much in the execution. I still have some areas to work on and will be trying it again. Hopefully the next time I post it, it will be better.

The cuts were made freehand with a scrollsaw.

One thing that the pictures do not really show is how well the bloodwood and aluminum go together. I had no idea the bloodwood would finish as rich and reflective as it did. It started out looking pretty bland.

IPD_Mrs

Like all others have said the circles pen is absolutely stunning. It actually reminds me of some of the old "spirograph" designs we did as kids (ok no comments about age now) and with string art as well. I love it. [:p]

We also had problems with the CA when we were finishing on bushings. Try finishing between centers - it is much better and saves a lot of heartache!

Mrs.

dbriski

Those pens look really great. One thing that might help show off the pens a little better is increasing either the lighting or the exposure. They are a little dark to see the detail in the wood.

Top Bottom