Some segmented and tru-stone pens for viewing!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from HoratioHornblower

Hello all, here are most of the pens that I have done in the past few days. I thought the different leftover blank pieces of African Blackwood would look elegant with some aluminum accents on a chrome kit. The purple heart was made as such per request. (no center band, clip, and longer top barrel) If you look on the bottom barrel there is a slight heart shape, and if the pen had been a bigger kit it would have shown up more...The tru-stone was made using product from Exotics, which turned out very nicely. (it was my first true stone blank that I turned) Enjoy and comments/thoughts are appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_4487.jpg
    IMG_4487.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 248
  • IMG_4492.jpg
    IMG_4492.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 269
  • IMG_4490.jpg
    IMG_4490.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 298
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BSea

I like the blackwood the most, but the purple heart is very interesting. How did you do the segmenting for that one? Only thing I can think is a scroll saw, or bandsaw with a thin blade.

Thank you! Good guess on the scroll saw! I take a clip art shape and size it to the blank, glue it and then follow it with the scroll saw. The heart shaped looked much better when the pen was slightly larger, so I think I will find a kit that is more conducive to that! After I cut the shape I use a bench vise to press the sheet metal into the blank. I also really like the african blackwood, though I wish I would be able to press it together without the finish lifting off the wood. (hence the blemish) Any thoughts anyone? I usually sand the ends to where the finish is pretty much flush with the wood.

trevorh

Hearts

Neat idea with the hearts in the purple heart pen it looks great and I hadn't thought of trying that before.

Thanks! I enjoyed making the purple heart, and the heart design came out rather nicely, and now that I know it works I really want to do it on a larger fountain or roller ball kit.

Top Bottom