Some Recently Turned...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from cyborgcnc

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skye

I think it would be a heck of a lot easier for you if you just link the pics. Your link is busted.

jttheclockman

Do not know your first name. Always good to call people by first name. But did get your link to work and must say those pens look great. The kits are well matched to the woods. Can you explain a little about your method of finishing??? Does not say anywhere what you are using. Thanks.

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
Here's another request for finishing info!
It says high gloss, but really, it looks like a soft gloss and I like it a lot.
Could be the photos, too. Even the black plastic parts look like a lustre
finish rather than gloss.. and I'm sure they're glossy. Good diffusion, perhaps?
It shows off the wood, but doesn't interfere like a high gloss can.
(nothing like a beautiful piece of wood overwhelmed by glare..)

They look very good.

cyborgcnc

Thank you all for your comments.

Name by the way is Spiro, sorry, forgot to mention that.

Not sure why the link is not working for you Skye, but that site has been up and working for a few years now with no issues. One thing I can think of, is that the place you are accessing the Internet, will not allow ports other than 80, to go out (as you can see, my site is on port 7171, which keeps down the 'rif-raf' and the spam...:) )

Anyway, have been turning for only about a couple of months, and I am rather new to pens, but not new to woodworking. As you can see, guitar building (electric) is one of my passions and CNC is the other (I build my own cnc router...).

I use a finishing method, which is somewhat similar on what I use on my guitars...

-After turning, I sand down to about 1000 + (using Micromesh), and then use 2-3 coats of CA. More, if the wood is porous, like for example Zebrawood. Before this, I make sure the wood is very clean, and I use DA for that.
-After CA dries, I then go back, and "level sand" using 600+ grits. This levels the finish, and fills in any gaps (basically using CA as a filler). I then clean all the dust residue.
-I follow with 10-15 coats more of very thin CA
-I then WET sand to 2000+ (using MM again) after it is dry.
-I then break out the Guitar finish compounds (Medium, Fine, and Swirl remover)
-I apply these on the lathe, also sanding WITH the grain to remove any fine scratches.
-I finish that with Carnuaba wax....

When it is all done, is has a very high luster...

Sorry, pictures do not show the luster on these...I need to take better ones...

That is it I guess....

MobilMan

and have been learning a lot from the threads on this forum. By golly, looks like you learned a lot. Real nice pens. Also- those are some fancy guitars you make. Quite an artist.

chriselle

Hey Spiro. Great looking pens and even better looking guitars. I'm a long time guitarist and have a small amp building operation in Japan. I'm not into the "pointy" guitars anymore but your Les Paul design is beautiful. Your passion for building high end axes and my unrelenting desire to build the finest amps would make a damn nice sounding (and looking) rig. :)

Cheers,

Chris
(Chriselle Pens & B Point Amplification)

Top Bottom