Some Recent Resin Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Draken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draken

The recent posting of some mosaic acrylic pens made me realize I haven't yet posted the ones I did last month, so without further adu, here they are, and all comments/critiques are welcome. All pens are home brew Polyester Resin, if I follow the convention, they would be called DPR, or Draken's Polyester Resin. :D

This is the color scheme that my sister requested. She wanted a colorful pen that no coworkers could steal and say it was theirs.
2006922155140_0047CigarPlatPRCropScale.jpg

This is a duplicate of a pen I turned before. Gave the first one to my father for Father's Day, he took it to work, and this order was the result.
2006922155525_0048ToolboxPencilPRCropScale.jpg

This is my first attempt at a mosaic pen I did last month. Came out okay, but need to use smaller pieces to prevent the larger areas of white.
2006922155721_0049CigarSatinNicklePRCropScale.jpg

Wife requsted this pen to give as a gift to a family friend, which was well received.
2006922155839_0050CigarSatinNicklePRCropScale.jpg

I have two neices, and they both requested a pen. One is 8, the other is 6. Both wanted pink and purple, but didn't want them to look the same. So, the 8 year old gets this one.
200692216012_0051CigarlSatinNicklePRCropScale.jpg

And the 6 year old gets this one.
200692216123_0052CigarSatinNicklePRCropScale.jpg

My largest PR pen to date, a Churchill in Sterling Silver. The color is subtle, but very nice, almost royal purple. Sorry about the flash flare on the clip.
20069221624_0053ChurchillStSilverPRCropScale.jpg

And to show I do turn wood pens, here is a custom engraved pen for a coworker, Black Chrome Cigar with AZ's Cobalt Blue dyed and stabilized Maple Burl. The lighting I used gives the pen a bit of a green tint that isn't visable in person.
692216327_0054CigarBlkChromeBlueMapleBurlCropScale.jpg

Thanks for looking,
Draken

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Draken

Thanks for all the kind words. The swirls in the first one just happened to fit around the clip, almost looks intentional. It didn't swirl the way I expected it to, I layered the three colors, but the last one was heavier than the other two due to the colorant used, and sank to the bottom, moving the other two out of the way.

This is the other thing that I've been working on:
200692221102_SS2006-06-AngelOrnamentsCropScale.jpg

Cheers,
Draken

Draken

Rob,

The second pen is the Toolbox Pencil from CSUSA. It uses a large 5mm lead to reduce tip breakage during use, woodworkers like them as well. For the angels, all were done using 1/4" apsen I picked up at the BBRG. They were done before my recent acquiring of various types of thin stock. [;)] The white ones were painted with thinned down acrylic craft paint, the others have a stain applied, but I don't recall which color.

Cheers,
Draken

its_virgil

Nice looking blanks and pens. I should experiment with colors more, but I'm having so much fun with the snake skins. Keep up the good work.
Do a good turn dialy!
don

Draken

I need to start playing with snake skins myself. Neighbor recently told me he has killed three copperheads in his yard. Need to ask him to save the next one for me. How does one prepare the raw skins? I'd most likely take it to a taxidermist (sp?).

Cheers,
Draken

Snazzypens

Those pens with the pink and purple are hot. I like them very much. YOu did well, especially those three up from the and including the second last one. They are gorgeous.
Toni

Skye

Removing the skin isnt hard at all. It's the tanning part that's probably a little tough. Look for something called vegetable tanning. I've heard that's a good method, but never tried it. Waiting on someone to do it, lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom