Some recent pens.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from BSea

BSea

I haven't posted too much lately, and mostly because I just haven't turned much. Or at least much that I wanted to show. One thing I never remember to do, is to polish the pens before pictures, so sorry for all the finger prints.:frown:

Here's my latest pen, and my 1st Jr Majestic. It's a piece of Afzalia with a little bit of burl, some spalting, a lot of figure, and a couple of knots. The best part is I found this at a woodcraft store in Birmingham AL last week. My wife was there for a week long meeting with the company she works for, and I went along for the ride. I must have spent 3 hours at the woodcraft store just wasting time while she was in meetings. Anyway, I found this 1 blank that had a lot of character (at least to me). I went through all their pen blanks & bought a few african blackwood to use in segmenting. But this one piece was the only one I found that would make a really nice pen. I added a blue crystal that I think looks better than the fake diamond. I tried turning a piece of Afzalia to put in, but It just looked BLAH to me. The blue crystal is actually a little deeper blue than the picture shows. I think the flash on the inside picture really washes out the color. The 1st picture is closer to the actual color.
afzaliaJrMagestic6.jpg

afzaliaJrMagestic2.jpg

afzaliaJrMagestic4.jpg

The next is a banded green malicite tru-stone from Indy-Pen-Dance on a Rhodium Jr. Retro from Lau Lau Woods. I saw a few pens made from this tru-stone not too long ago, and really liked it, so I bought a piece & made this pen. I really like custom finial caps, and to me, the retro's domed shaped finial cap really looks so much better with a matching custom piece rather than the gold one that comes with this kit.
GreenBandedMalicite2.jpg

GreenBandedMalicite4.jpg

Finally is one from a cast I made, and I call it "Dry Land". It was actually a mistake. I was attempting to make some ocean type blanks. At the same time, I was making some green & bronze colored blanks. When I was pouring the green & bronze, I started pouring into a tube that I was going to use for the ocean blanks. I thought I'd just cut the green & bronze part off. But when I got the blank out, it really caught my eye, so I decided to leave it.

I recently saw about 10 minutes of the movie Waterworld (10 minutes is about all I can handle of that movie at a time). To make a long story short, when I looked at the blank, I thought of "DRY LAND" from the movie. To me, the blank looks like the ocean meeting the land. The blank somehow also got just a small bit of the bronze. At first I was going to try & turn it off, but the more I looked at it, the more it looked like a small barrier island. I think this is a "Love it or Hate it" kind of pen. Personally, I really like it, and I plan to make some more blanks similar to it. My wife on the other hand is not a fan, and is more traditional in her tastes. She didn't have a problem with the blue crystal in the 1st pen though.
DryLand4.jpg

DryLand6.jpg

Last edited:

ryvnd2001

Bob-

The crystal looks great! The pens look fantastic and I like the finial's that you turn. Good work! BTW...you're getting pretty good at casting.

Ryan

firewhatfire

that would be the store in Pelham. I am in there about once a week looking for something on sale. I was off several days last week, had I known I could have given you something to do.

Top Bottom