Some recent pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from desert1pocket

Status
Not open for further replies.

desert1pocket

This pen was in the middle of being finished when my lathe died. I couldn't wait for the new lathe, so I completed the finish and sanding by hand. It is mesquite with a walnut checker pattern.
tn_Pens%20077.jpg

This one is an attempt at a San Diego Chargers pen for my brother in law. It is blue died maple with osage orange for the lightning bolt. It is also my first purchased pen blank.
tn_Pens%20089.jpg

This one is osage orange with red mallee and purple heart. I am dissapointed in this one as the pores in the PH that I filled w/ ca, turned white after finishing.
tn_Pens%20084.jpg

And last is a bias cut mesquite with maple and purple heart. I drilled this one way off center to get the sap wood inclusion at the finial end.
tn_Pens%20094.jpg

Any and all critiques are welcome, because thats how I know what to improve. Thanks for looking.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

kiddo

Way Cool! You make those woods work so well together!

The mesquite, maple, purple heart at the end is the one I like best with the checkerboard next.

Kiddo

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
All very nice, but I actually really like the bottom slimlne best.
I think that that one may have looked even better with a 'wasp' shape, to fill the gap between the wood and the clip, and it may have emphasised the bias cut. Nice work and better finish than I'm getting with wood too!!![:D]

PS. How did the lathe die? Sounds a bit too close to Christmas to me!!!!![:D][:D][:D]

desert1pocket

Thanks for the nice comments everyone!

Originally posted by skiprat
<br />All very nice, but I actually really like the bottom slimlne best.
I think that that one may have looked even better with a 'wasp' shape, to fill the gap between the wood and the clip, and it may have emphasised the bias cut. Nice work and better finish than I'm getting with wood too!!![:D]

PS. How did the lathe die? Sounds a bit too close to Christmas to me!!!!![:D][:D][:D]

I would have liked the wasp waist as well, but I drilled a little to close to the edge of the blank trying to include the sapwood. As far as the lathe, I turned it off to sand along the grain between grits, and when I flipped the switch to turn it back on, nothing happened. I spent half the day ruling out the switch and capacitor, and even pulled the motor apart to see if it was salvageable. It was a cheap HF 1/2 HP lathe, and I think most of the damage was done when I tried to turn some bowls with it a few months ago. IMO 1/2 HP is nowhere near enough power to turn a heavy chuck and a decent size bowl blank with. I did hate almost everything about the lathe, but I was only 3 pens away from completing the x-mas pen list, so I wish it had held out a little longer. I hear that Santa may be bringing me a gift cert to a WW store, so maybe I can get something a little better than I was looking at.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom