Some Recent Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Rolandranch

Rolandranch

Here are a few that I made recently. Nothing too fancy, just a few simple designs.

This one is is a Southwest Mesa made with desert ironwood with a turquoise TruStone and aluminum accent band.

View in Gallery

This one is a Southwest Mesa made with desert ironwood with rattlesnake skin and brass accents.

View in Gallery

This one is a Rollester made of Bolivian rosewood with ebony (I think it's ebony) and aluminum accents.

View in Gallery

This last one is a Majestic Jr. made from abalone that I cast.

View in Gallery

Thanks for looking! C&C welcome.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dehn0045

Very nice Seth! Lots of Southwestern style. I like how your images have the zoom feature -- I'm sure I will figure that out at some point. Very nice, thanks for sharing.

Rolandranch

SteveG

Seth, I am liking all the pen posted. Very nice! Many pen turners who use ebony discover that cracks have developed. A few claim to have avoided that bug-a-boo. Unless you have taken steps to minimize the chance of ebony cracking, you may want to hold on to that one for a while to see if cracks develop. A cracked pen is not good for your rep! :eek:

I looked closely at the abalone pen that you casted in the magnified zoom mode. The joints are nice and tight. That is very nicely done. Keep up your attention to detail...it will servr you well. :)

Rolandranch

Seth, I am liking all the pen posted. Very nice! Many pen turners who use ebony discover that cracks have developed. A few claim to have avoided that bug-a-boo. Unless you have taken steps to minimize the chance of ebony cracking, you may want to hold on to that one for a while to see if cracks develop. A cracked pen is not good for your rep! :eek:

I looked closely at the abalone pen that you casted in the magnified zoom mode. The joints are nice and tight. That is very nicely done. Keep up your attention to detail...it will servr you well. :)
Thank you. I have had ebony crack while drilling or turning and even after it was finished. However, I think because I am using such a small piece and have many coats of CA, and did not heat it up too much while drilling, it won't crack... also, I made this pen several weeks ago... Thank you for your insight on that.

I am not completely satisfied with the abalone yet. Many of the cuts I make seem to crack or crush the shell a little bit. I think I need to find a different method of cutting it. Also, the abalone shell itself is not that spectacular.

Thank you for your encouragement!

OZturner

An Exceptional Presentation of Pens, Seth.
Loved Them All,
The Turquoise TruStone and Aluminium Segmented , Desert Iron Wood on the Southwest Mesa, is Truly Spectacular.
Great Craftsmanship.
Brian.

Rink

Those are really, really nice! My favorite personal pens are ones with turquoise truestone segmenting. I think turquoise is under-appreciated and under-utilized as a pen segment material. So, way to go!

Rolandranch

Those are really, really nice! My favorite personal pens are ones with turquoise truestone segmenting. I think turquoise is under-appreciated and under-utilized as a pen segment material. So, way to go!
Thank you. I really like the contrast between TruStone and wood with metal accents. Turquoise TruStone is one of my favorite segmenting materials.

Top Bottom