Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from sptfr43

Status
Not open for further replies.

sptfr43

finally got a camera and some pics of my progress. comments are welcome

200562343938_100_0099.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
NIce pens, Randy! But word of warning-- Mike's had to re-do some of his pens b/c of a reaction between the elastic/nylon and his pens, when the case got too warm in his car!!! From now on, we'll be using narrow elastic bands and only on the center band!!

I love that green-- is it poplar or boxed elder??? Just beautiful!!

sptfr43

thanks for the tip. they stay indoors for now though. I dont really know what the green ones are other than stabilized, got them off ebay. if I had to guess I'd say beb though.

woodscavenger

That is some really wicked spalting on the first one! Cool! Show us a little more detail on the last green one. What type of kit? Is it a closed form on both ends?

Fred in NC

Very nice pens, Randy !! Great job!

Regarding the elastic... learned the hard way !

Most finishes are dry to the touch in a short time, BUT they are not fully cured at that point. It can take days and weeks for a finish to be fully cured.

I would avoid anything that can put a mark on the barrel for several days or at least a week.

wayneis

Mike what type of reaction did you have and what finish did you use? I've had that same thing happen to me and was thinking that I hadn't let my finish cure long enough yet.

Wayne

sptfr43

thanks all, the green closed end is a salvaged kit from a mistake pen. forgot what one, I think it was a screw cap from Rockler.still working on a clip for it.

200562316726_100_01021.jpg
<br />

mick

Originally posted by wayneis
<br />Mike what type of reaction did you have and what finish did you use? I've had that same thing happen to me and was thinking that I hadn't let my finish cure long enough yet.

Wayne

Wayne either the friction against the elastic .....or the heat transferred the print of the elastic to the pens....even a couple of acrylics. Not only the print of the elastic but also the small meshdesign of the nylon carrying case. A new velvet case is in the works, but I was carrying a few pens in my day planner when this happened. Oh well live and learn. Only one pen, an acrylic can't be refinished, it was scored too deep to fix, But Connie likes the pen so she's carrying it for now

mick

Oh yeah I almost forgot. Wayne, Most of the pens damaged were CA/BLO finish with a top coat of lacquer. My guess would be the the lacquer wasn't fully cured and conformed to the print of the elastic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom