Some pens using thread wrapped blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Ted Sachs

Ted Sachs

Here are some pens that I've been doing lately. I've only been making pens for just over four months now so it must be very recently. LOL I am working at combining an old hobby that I used to do over thirty years ago, custom fishing rod wrapping, and pen making. C&C is always welcomed in order to get better at this.

Attachments

• 20151004_151517.jpg
    20151004_151517.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 460
  • 20151004_151605.jpg
    20151004_151605.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 617
  • 20151006_143714.jpg
    20151006_143714.jpg
    283.7 KB · Views: 478
  • 20151005_184128.jpg
    20151005_184128.jpg
    271.1 KB · Views: 512
  • 20151007_062219.jpg
    20151007_062219.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 494

jttheclockman

This is going to be fun. You have to show the green one with the chevrons and the green with the black carbon fiber. Beautiful works of art.

jttheclockman

As requested. I think this is the green chevron one you are referring to.

That is the one. The hits just keep on coming. Do save some for another posting. Let us absorb these. Man that work is great. The detail is fine. When you get settled in you need to make an album here and preserve these photos. Thanks for showing.

magpens

AMAZING !!! . That green chevron Celtic pen is purely amazing !! When Mark sees it he'll want it for The Collection !! (or one like it)

And that threadwork over top of the carbon fiber !!!!! Especially love the blue one !!!!

I love this amazing new "twist" to pen crafting !

Last edited:

Ted Sachs

Thanks y'all. I'm downloading some from the phone to the computer now and will post them tomorrow. I've got pics of a few I have in progress now, some that blow these away to me at least.

Ted Sachs

Ted, as we spoke last week you know what I think of these. Have you gotten the package I sent?

I've not received it yet. I'm waiting on it so I can send you one of the blanks. I'm still having problems casting that I thought I had resolved already. I may go with the option of letting you get them cast if that is still on the table.

Ted those are beautiful. I was toying with the idea of doing that myself but the high cost of all of the equipment to get started and the learning curve ( I have never done this before like you) detured me.

Congratulations you have come up with one of the truly newest forms of pen blanks I have seen in years. A very exciting new direction.

Mike

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
... So I've spent 2 years trying to reinvent the wheel :eek:! And I simply needed to go fishing to see what I was missing.

Very nice application, I hope you run with it in front of the crowd.

Welcome to IAP.

Ted Sachs

Thank you y'all. I'm having fun learNing what works and what won't. My biggest challenge is getting decent casts. I'm at about fifty pErcent success rate right now but getting better with a new step I've added.

Kenny Durrant

Those are Sweet! I have a cousin that builds fishing rods and he wrapped some tubes for me by just wrapping the thread like you would the eyes and they looked good but not like those. I thought about trying it myself but liked mentioned before it's a whole different art so I figured I might try to get a little better a the ones I'm doing now than add something new. I'm impressed with what you did and can't wait to see the next ones.

OKLAHOMAN

Ted, as we spoke last week you know what I think of these. Have you gotten the package I sent?

I've not received it yet. I'm waiting on it so I can send you one of the blanks. I'm still having problems casting that I thought I had resolved already. I may go with the option of letting you get them cast if that is still on the table.

Ted, yes that option is still open.

Dale Lynch

Do you wrap the pattern right on the tube or do you weave it into a mat and then apply? Beautiful pens Ted.They would fit right in with the coachwipped blank in the library if you would be willing to submit an artice in the future,

Ted Sachs

Do you wrap the pattern right on the tube or do you weave it into a mat and then apply? Beautiful pens Ted.They would fit right in with the coachwipped blank in the library if you would be willing to submit an artice in the future,

Long story short, I wrap directly on the tube. Some blanks I will put carbon fiber or fiber glass sleeves on and then coat with epoxy then wrap, some blanks get what is called the underwrap first, and some patterns that are closed in are wrapped right on a bare blank that has been scuffed. A closed in pattern just means that you are wrapping the entire tube so that no brass shows through. It is also the most time consuming and tedious wrap to do. Wraps that have the carbon fiber or underwrapped are much easier since you are just wrapping a simple design that lets part of the underneath show through. In this case, the carbon fiber, or the thread you did the underwrap with. The underwrap is nothing more than starting at one end and wrapping your thread directly next to itself all the way down the tube. The pattern wrap part is started basically as a spiral down the length of the tube with the spacing between "tops" of the spiral equal to the circumference of the tube. From that point you make your pattern come out by wrapping on either side of the starter spiral, or on only one side. There are patterns where you might have two or more starter spirals spaced like a quarter of an inch apart, as an example, running parallel to each other and then wrap on one or both sides, or even both on one and only one on the other. Patterns are created by one thread covering up the other on the return pass. By changing the amount of wraps before crossing you change the shape of the pattern. It's all really a lot simpler than it sounds if you can watch someone doing it and explaining as they go. To try and describe it without the visuals will only confuse for the most part. I'll try and get back to work on a simple pattern tutorial so people can better understand what is going on with wrapping.

Waggoner

The wraps look great. I also have tried wrapping my own fishing rod its the past. It was no where near as nice as yours. However I never thought about putting it to use on pens. Great idea. My question is how do you finish them out,the same as you would for a rod???? Do you still make fishing rods? Would love to see a couple of them. Great work again.

Ted Sachs

The wraps look great. I also have tried wrapping my own fishing rod its the past. It was no where near as nice as yours. However I never thought about putting it to use on pens. Great idea. My question is how do you finish them out,the same as you would for a rod???? Do you still make rods. G reat work again.

I haven't made a rod in about thirty Five years now. I wish I still had a couple of the ones I made and a couple of the cue sticks I wrapped back then.

As Fit finisHing pen wraps, I still put pretty much the. I leave about a sixteenth to an eighth sick pay the end of the tube and cast that and clean it off after castingame finish on them I did back when but now I take that and cast it. When doing a rod you have enough length to work with so that you can do a pretty turnaround whereas with pens I'm wrapping a very short tube it's on a dowel rod so there isn't the room to do that. I run my pattern out on to the Dowel rod and do a quick turnaround for the spiral going back. Once I've finished the pattern and put the finish on I take a brand new X-acto blade and cut off everything just pay the end of the tube

Last edited:

Skie_M

The wraps look great. I also have tried wrapping my own fishing rod its the past. It was no where near as nice as yours. However I never thought about putting it to use on pens. Great idea. My question is how do you finish them out,the same as you would for a rod???? Do you still make rods. G reat work again.

I haven't made a rod in about thirty Five years now. I wish I still had a couple of the ones I made and a couple of the cue sticks I wrapped back then.

As Fit finisHing pen wraps, I still put pretty much the. I leave about a sixteenth to an eighth sick pay the end of the tube and cast that and clean it off after castingame finish on them I did back when but now I take that and cast it. When doing a rod you have enough length to work with so that you can do a pretty turnaround whereas with pens I'm wrapping a very short tube it's on a dowel rod so there isn't the room to do that. I run my pattern out on to the Dowel rod and do a quick turnaround for the spiral going back. Once I've finished the pattern and put the finish on I take a brand new X-acto blade and cut off everything just pay the end of the tube

Mud Hole has a very nice little kit for rod and cue stick wrapping by hand ... it's just a cardboard folding rod holder that costs about 10 bucks.

"As for finishing pen wraps, I still put pretty much the same finish on them I did back then, but now I take that and cast it. I leave about a sixteenth to an eighth sticking past the end of the tube and cast that and clean it off after casting. When doing a rod, you have enough length to work with so that you can do a pretty turnaround, wereas with pens I'm wrapping a very short tube. It's on a dowel rod, so there isn't the room to do that. I run my pattern out onto the dowel rod and do a quick turnaround for the spiral going back. Once I've finished the pattern and put the finish on it, I take a brand new xacto blade and cut off everything just past the end of the tube."

Fixed spelling and grammar for the guy on pain meds.

Last edited:

Ted Sachs

Thank you Skie. I'm recovering from surgery last week after having a tumor reMoved from my middle ear and this has not been my best moment answering on my phone. I appreciate the help. I noticed a whole paragraph was missing too that I somehow deleted. When I get back on the computer I'll redo it all. Between the pain meds and trying to do this on a phone I managed to just muddy it all up.

jttheclockman

I have to admit I have seen this done on a pen before, some 6 or 7 years ago if memory serves me well. If i can dig up the photo I will try to find it. That was the launching pad for me to get into doing this. Then I quickly learned it is not as easy as it looks. the more complex the pattern the more threads you need and it is a learning curve. Well life and health got in the way and never did pursue it but it was always in the back of my mind. Along with other ideas. I always liked this look and they do it many colors
720buttwraps_001.jpg

This is an example of what i try to preach on this site all the time. Think outside the box. There are mediums to work in and ideas that have not even been touched. Along comes someone who has broken through and the next person can be you. I hope to see more such great artisan ideas come through here. I know I sound like a broken record by now but it is true.

Ted keep up the great work and thanks for sharing.

Last edited:

Ted Sachs

I have to admit I have seen this done on a pen before, some 6 or 7 years ago if memory serves me well. If i can dig up the photo I will try to find it. That was the launching pad for me to get into doing this. Then I quickly learned it is not as easy as it looks. the more complex the pattern the more threads you need and it is a learning curve. Well life and health got in the way and never did pursue it but it was always in the back of my mind. Along with other ideas. I always liked this look and they do it many colors
720buttwraps_001.jpg

This is an example of what i try to preach on this site all the time. Think outside the box. There are mediums to work in and ideas that have not even been touched. Along comes someone who has broken through and the next person can be you. I hope to see more such great artisan ideas come through here. I know I sound like a broken record by now but it is true.

Believe it or not, that's a relatively easy pattern to wrap and with the right colors really pops.

jttheclockman

720buttwraps_001.jpg

Believe it or not, that's a relatively easy pattern to wrap and with the right colors really pops.

OK you have been challenged:biggrin:

Ted Sachs

I've got a couple of wraps ahead right now, but as soon as I get those done I'll do this one for a Sierra pen. Actually, the wraps I do need to go on the Sierra Vista.

Edit: Are there any particular color ranges that you would like to see this in and do you want flat sided boxes like this our would you rather tubular shapes intersecting like this?

Last edited:

jttheclockman

I've got a couple of wraps ahead right now, but as soon as I get those done I'll do this one for a Sierra pen. Actually, the wraps I do need to go on the Sierra Vista.

Edit: Are there any particular color ranges that you would like to see this in and do you want flat sided boxes like this our would you rather tubular shapes intersecting like this?

Surprise me. You are in the driver's seat. No rush I was having a little fun. It amazes me that you can see a pattern and without a blink of an eye you know the pattern. Glad that you joined our group.

OKLAHOMAN

Eventually

Some one will try to copy your work, it's just the nature of of things here, but I just don't see them living up to your quality. I've always said to be copied is one of the biggest complements a person can receive.

Top Bottom