Some pens I made

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mumu

mumu

Hi, here some pens I turned with the same kit, let me know what you think, specially defects or what you dislike

318983.jpg

Boxwood and wengè

318984.jpg

Boxwood with handplaned side

318985.jpg

Maple

2012_08_05_03.jpg

Laburnum and pyrography, copied from a book

2012_08_07_03.jpg

Maple and pyrography maori inspired

2012_08_18_04.jpg

Maple with hand carved part

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

keithbyrd

The craftsmanship, fit, finish and art work is creative and well done! personally I think they are a little too fat in the middle! My favorite would be the boxwood and wenge.

What kind of finish did you use?

SDB777

I've often wondered why we don't see more of the pyrography on some designs...certainly gives them a 'stand out' from the rest.

Interesting timber combo, and the flat planing is pretty cool too! Have to agree that these are a little large in the midsection(so am I though)....

Scott (keep them coming) B

Boz

I am not a fan of chubby pens. The boxwood and wenge looks good. I have not yet masted the art of segmenting so my hat is off to you.

joefyffe

Passed Away Aug 19, 2018
In Memoriam
#1's my favorite. You are a talented carver, but like most of the rest of the comments, I dislike the proportions! I'm not a carver, so I don't know, but could you have taken the bulbous end a little smaller, gone up a little higher with the carving and still had enough timber left on the blank to be strong? Just asking!

Last edited:
Very nice. I like that first one best but the rest are all original and artistic. Nice fit and finish on all. Nice group of original and artistic pens.

mumu

Hi, thanks everyone for your comments.

Dan the kit is this one, I like it because is easy and allows some errors.

I like the pen with some consistence, but I admit I've exaggerated with some, expecially with the red one, is really unconfortable.

Keithbyrd, the finish is straw oil and CA glue repeated 5-8 time.

Joefyffe I think you are right, probably I've to risk something more to get a better appearance.

SDB777 Pyrography is a good technique to be associated with pens, even for customize with initials for a present.

Thank again, your comment help me growing...

Ciao :)

newpenman

I am very new to this as well, but, I like the boxwood/wenge, and the maori inspired pens. I tend not to like the "fatter" styled pens, although they may be a little more comfortable to actually use. I have also been mulling over the possibility of doing some carving on some pens I turn in the future. Thanks for posting.

Top Bottom