Some Parker Bullet Pens & Stars

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from JD Combs Sr

JD Combs Sr

Some pens for an upcoming craft show. All use a Parker style refill. All are based more or less on cigar pen upper parts. Some use the center band some do not. All casings and bullets are rattle can lacquered, acrylics are mm'd to 12000 then coated with Ren-wax, the antler and wood have 6-8 coats of CA then mm'd as above.

From L2R:
7mm Magnum in Woodland Digital Camo and Winter Digital Camo, 30-06 in Desert Camo and Navy Camo, two 8mm Mausers in Deer Antler, 308 in Black Walnut Burl and Woodland Camo. The last one by itself is two 30-06 cartridges, one as the bottom and one as the top.

IMG_8945_4_6Nom.jpg

Same construction for the bottom but using a cartridge for the top.
both cartridges are 30-06.
IMG_8994_3_5_Detail.jpg

Here is a little patriotism, again for the craft show. The flag is suppose to be all wood and it mostly is except for the stars. I know some IAP members us spackling to replace those hard to handle little starts but I thought I would give epoxy a try.
IMG_9006_5_7_Detail.jpg

The wooden stars were just too small and tedious for me to handle so my cheat is whitened epoxy. I mixed as much white powdered paint into the resin portion that I could get and still have a smooth mixture then poured in the hardener half along with another scoop of white powder. It came out great and I was able to turn it in less than an hour, much less if I had wanted too.
IMG_8996.jpg

Comments and critique appreciated.

BTW the bullet pen construction is not too dissembler from that of David Bell's "Bullet Casing Pens" writeup in the library. The major difference being the use of 8mm Parker hardware verses his 7mm Cross style. Also I only used CA as a "weld-ment", no soldering. Drilling out the case and the bullet are nearly identical except for drill sizes.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JD Combs Sr

Great looking group of pens. The stars came out very nice.
Thanks Jim, I like them, about the only problem it there is one is that they are very white as compared to the light wood.

Antler is awesome on the larger cigar tubes!!!
Scott (Riddick for tonight's entertainment) B
Thanks Scott, I think I over did trying to keep the tube hole from punching through the sides. I got it too centered and it resulted in very little bark showing. Bark really makes antler blanks.:frown:

Very nice group of pens
Cool looking.
Ray
Leslie/Ray, Thanks appreciate you looking and the comments.

I know there is lots of info in the library on making these but I thought I would post one of my shortcuts for making these, at least the 30 caliber and smaller ones.

I make this what I consider "standard" cartridge pen insert(the blue arrow and underline):
IMG_9012.jpg

I can drill out any 30 caliber cartridge and insert(press & glue) it into the cartridge and presto I have a basic cartridge pen. If I don't want the cigar center coupler flange(red arrow) to show I simple turn it down to a slip fit for the inside of the top brass tube(usually cigar size).

I don't have them handy at the moment but if anyone is interested I can post the length of the tube and exposed length of the bullet that provides the proper exposure for the refill tip(although it is not difficult to determine). I can also post photos that show the steps I use to make this "standard" insert. Hope the pic is helpful to anyone having problems or doubts about make bullet pens.

Edit: I forgot to mention, the items shown in the top of the pic are what I use to make the insert. The bottom items show a cigar center band and tube used for the top. As noted earlier I sometimes use the center band, especially on the magnums but other times I do not, just depends on how I am feeling that day I guess.:rolleyes:

Thanks all for looking.

Last edited:
Top Bottom