Some Panache and Electra Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from aggromere

aggromere

I have never built a Panache or an Electra before and just wanted to get the kits out of my inventory and try something different than I usually do.

The Panache Pens were fun to make, but I don't think I particularly like the design. Not sure what someone would do with one. I did them all from Amboyna with cigar bands and a lot of coats of CA. I had some issues turning them, I believe the bushings were not properly sized and didn't adjust for that until after a couple of pens. You can see on some the big end is shy of the end cap. One of them the nib end is difficult to remove from the cap. It catches on something. I might have done something wrong in assembling it thus the problem, but only on one.

The electra looks very nice and I think has some potential. However, the nylon threaded insert in the cap seems like something that will get cross threaded very easily and ruin the pen. So I'm not sure I want to put them in the hands of customers. It was also impossible (at least for me) to line up the clip with the cigar label while closed and while writing. Had to pick one or the other. I think the threads are multiple start, maybe triple but I could be wrong.

Anyone one have any thoughts on these kits, particularly the Electra. Am I wrong about the potential cross threading, or has everyone had good luck with them.

Oh, and I have been prowling ebay purchasing lots of antique or vintage cigar bands. All of these pens have those rather than contemporary bands.

I posted a few pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_0124.JPG
    IMG_0124.JPG
    126 KB · Views: 244
  • IMG_0124-crop.jpg
    IMG_0124-crop.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_0128-crop.JPG
    IMG_0128-crop.JPG
    96.8 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

workinforwood

They look good Pete. The caps on those will be triple start, so the only way the cap can line up is if you thread the pen into the proper slot. Each time you close it you could end up in a different spot. As far as having at least one of the 3 starts lining up perfect...I assume the cap comes pre-assembled, so what you do is you screw in the nib section until it stops, then you push the barrel by hand up into the nib, then very carefully unscrew the nib from the cap and carry it over to your press to press it in.

Now..if you are feeling like when you screw that pen into the cap that it is finicky to get the threads in, like you might strip it out..well it shouldn't be that way, but lately a lot of Dayacom JR's have been that way since they changed their parts to square threading. It's an issue for sure.

aggromere

You press a nylon threaded insert into the cap as part of the assembly. Lining them up is no problem, it is just that the threads on the end the cap post to are different and it was impossible to line up the cap when in both positions, so I could only line up the cap when closed. When you start the threads to close the cap it doesn't start smoothly like the old jr gent II, it takes a little playing with it to get it started. At least for me.

I think the single sleeve pens are much easier to make (trying to create a large inventory of pens) so I think I will give the new magnetic vertex a shot and see how that works. Line up and threads would not be an issue with that or the zen, but I think the nib section of the zen is a little short for comfortable writing.

Last edited:

wizard

Looks beautiful! Good selection of the amboyna wood as I have seen some cigar cases and humidors made from it. Great job!

dexter0606

it is just that the threads on the end the cap post to are different and it was impossible to line up the cap when in both positions

Peter
If you follow Jeff's method and hand fit the nib section and cap section with the cap lined up it will work out fine. Line up the cap with the nib, then push it into the barrel. Line up the finial and cap and push it into the barrel.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
There is one problem with that method (that I know of):

When you put pressure on the piece to insert it, it may go in far enough to cover a portion of the threads. So, when you try to put the cap on, it will not screw down far enough (as it did before you press fit it). Once you know this, you can offset the match by the amount you will lose--but it gets "tricky".

aggromere

I think I got it figured out now, the last one I did worked just fine. Was probably the fact that these were the first two of this kit I ever did and was just unfamiliar with the assembly. It was kind of different that other pens I have made. But I really like the look of the pen. I sell more pens made from cigar kits that anything else and wanted a good looking pen that was easier to make. One sleeve is much easier than two, so Im gonna stick with the Electra. I also ordered a few of the new vertex magnetic pen to see how that works.

Top Bottom