Some New Photos

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wdcav1952

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
I've been off work this week with health problems, so I at least got a few photos done. From left to right they are:

Desert Ironwood Burl on an Ultra Cigar. EBay wood.

Some of Gary Max's great Red Oak Burl on an Ultra Cigar. I wanted the burl to be accentuated a bit so I ebonized the blank and then lightly sanded to attempt to leave most of the ebonizing in the figuring. This is some nice wood with which to work.

A piece of Irish Bog Oak with a varnish finish on a Chrome Perfect Fit. It has a date with Ken Nelson before it heads out to the owner.

The last one is a Gold Titanium Sierra Click with some of exoticblanks.com's Purple Glitter Bar. When the package got here, my son grabbed this one and "offered" to cut the bar into 2 blanks for the minor fee of one of the blanks and the kit. This is Sean's result.

Comments of all flavors welcome.

Attachments

• DI Burl Ultra Cigar.jpg
    DI Burl Ultra Cigar.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 429
  • Gary Burl.jpg
    Gary Burl.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 363
  • IBO Perfect Fit.jpg
    IBO Perfect Fit.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 359
  • Glitter Purple Swirl.jpg
    Glitter Purple Swirl.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 380
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

The ultra cigars are first rate The wood has got some fantastic charachter. The fit and finish is perfect. Nice work and thanks for showing them.

wdcav1952

I love the Ultras too:biggrin:

Daft question.....what's ebonizing?:confused:

Thanks Steven for making my week!! I actually get to tell you something after looking at all of your awesome work!!! :bananen_smilies051:

Ebonizing is a way to stain wood black. Put some white vinegar in a bottle. Add some rusty nails and shake the bottle occasionally. The solution will not be particularly black, but painted on the oak it turned it completely black. I had the blanks already sanded through 12000 MM, and then very lightly sanded away the black until I got the effect I wanted. After that I finished as usual.

As I understand it, the technique was developed to make less expensive woods resemble ebony.

Also, thanks to all who commented.

My doctor has adjusted a couple of my prescriptions, so hopefully I will leave work Monday on my own two feet instead of a stretcher like this past Monday. For all you young whippersnappers, getting old is NOT for sissies!!

talbot

All that excellent work when youre ill William,, I cant imagine what you're capable of when youre fighting fit!
Great stuff and glad to hear you're feeling better.
regards,
Bill

ldb2000

Hey Cav . I have a great band saw and would be willing to cut all your blanls for you if I could get the same deal , and I don't need the kits either so you will be ahead the game with my deal .:biggrin:
Beautiful job on those . :good::good::good:

wdcav1952

Hey Cav . I have a great band saw and would be willing to cut all your blanls for you if I could get the same deal , and I don't need the kits either so you will be ahead the game with my deal .:biggrin:
Beautiful job on those . :good::good::good:

Well, since I slept with his mother, it seemed only fair to let him have a blank and kit. :biggrin::wink:

bitshird

Nice looking Pens Cav, I hope you get to feeling better soon, then you can really get some work done, Those are finished to a Top shelf shine.

PR_Princess

Very impressive William! They are all beautiful, but I think that my favourite is the ebonized one too. :tongue:

BTW You KNOW these had to be good! They even got GerryR to come out of the woodwork!:devil:

nylajune

Absolutely beautiful, Cav! I especially like the DI Burl Ultra Cigar. I'm not a big fan of the Sierra Click style pens, but that Purple Glitter Bar is awesome! Hope you get to feeling better soon!!

wdcav1952

Thanks for all the great comments. I am partial toward the ebonized oak of the group. Since I am pretty well a B2B turner, it feels good to add a little extra touch.

Thanks also for the good wishes about feeling better. I got an email from my doctor :doctor: regarding the last series of blood tests she ordered. It turns out I have mono!! :eek::question: (I knew I shouldn't have been kissing on that fantastic bowl blank I got from Nolan!!!!! :redface::embarrassed:

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
Well, since I slept with his mother, it seemed only fair to let him have a blank and kit. :biggrin::wink:

(staring at my bandsaw and then back at Cav's message... )

Hmm ... Deal or No Deal? :tongue:

Great looking pens .. and I usually hate the Ultra, but you made it work.

Top Bottom