Some new pens today

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Adillo303

Adillo303

My first scallops and Celtic Knot pens.

Scallop-n-cross 2.jpg

Scallop - Took a bit of working. two blanks exploded. Seemed to be the hardness of the tow toods were too far apart.

Scallop1.jpg

My First Celtic Cross.

Cross1.jpg

All learned from tutorials posted here. Thank You IAP

Last edited:

OZturner

Congratulation Andy, on two fine Pens.
Great Fit and Finish
I love your Scalloped Pen.
With the Celtic Knot, I think I would have preferred to see you use 4 inserts and perhaps a little thinner.
But that is my taste, and does not distract from appreciating your effort and obvious Skill.
Brian

Last edited:

Adillo303

Thank you very much for the compliments.

I used a link from one of the threads here to find the directions to scallop. It is way easier than I thought. Especially since I started out building a 90 degree sled and a sled that will cut both 30 and 45 degree angles on the blank. I did this because the document in our library calls for 45 for the cross and the link for scallops calls for 30. The sled is very useful.

The document in our library calls for the crosses to be the thickness of the saw kerf. In my case .104. I very much agree that I would like them thinner and more of them. I am working on that. Again, the instructions I worked from said not to sever the blank. I am trying to work out a way to sever the blank and make a fixture that would hold the blank true so that I can insert thinner stock.

Fit and finish is again thanks to IAP and the excellent thread about turning between centers. It removes runout problems on the mandrel rod, over / under sized bushings, out of round bushings and kit to kit variations in diameter.

I have never used my digital calipers so much and I am lovin' every second of it.

Thank you for the compliment.

Andy

Top Bottom