IMG_6110.jpg
Irish Bog on a Cambridge
IMG_6086.jpg
IMG_6089.jpg

All pens MM to 12000, 3 thin then 5 medium coats of CA, MM 12000, polish...DONE

Thanks for looking. Comments welcome!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PaulDoug

Like said all are pens to be proud of. How about that alabaster one, any tips on turning alabaster? I have some I bought to turn, but afraid I'll ruin my tools on it.

jimpope

Robert, I have done some pens using alabaster. I cut my blanks from raw product from a local mine. I have been wary of having stone adjacent to metal, so I always accent with wood on each end. Seems you have not had a problem with that. Great looking pen--J

Like said all are pens to be proud of. How about that alabaster one, any tips on turning alabaster? I have some I bought to turn, but afraid I'll ruin my tools on it.

Sharp tools! I used my skew for most of it. As you get closer to the bushings you need to be carefull as the material is actually quite soft and will go down pretty quickly.

I sanded using 320 first then went down to 12000 with MM and then used CA to seal it all up.

When I pressed the pen parts together a few fissions developed but so far so good...I wish I had reemed out the tubes before I pressed it together...also, I used white painted tubes and added some of the alabaster dust from drilling into the CA while glueing it up and it worked and held just fine.

wizard

All beautiful pens!! You did a great job on all, as usual. How did you do a CA finish on the bog oak? I had a hard time with a CA finish on the bog oak as it ended up with some air spaces under the finish. Looking back, I wished I would have started with thin CA to get into the porous areas of the wood prior to initially using medium CA. Thank you for showing. Regards, Doc

Top Bottom