Some new colors

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Texatdurango

Texatdurango

I spent last week mixing some more blanks and came up with a few new colors I like so spent the better part of yesterday and this morning making some pens.

Here are a dozen of my new larger size pens showing the colors they will be available in. My favorite, although it's really hard to appreciate it from a photo, is the second from the left, I call it my Black Cherry! It has shades of burgundy laced with a hint of antique silver and black pearlescents. Another favorite is the Mink pen sandwiched between the Lavender and Dark Blue.

Believe it or not, every pen is the same size, some holes in this ole junker pen stand are deeper than others and the curve distorts the pens a bit.

Attachments

• Flagstaff model.jpg
    Flagstaff model.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 497
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

EricJS

Wow, what a lineup! I'm glad you've expanded this blank style into so many choices. They've all turned out exactly like the ones in your other post, too.

I really believe you've got a hit with these.:biggrin:

IPD_Mr

The one seventh from the left and sixth from the right is my favorite. Looks like you are missing one though. :biggrin: Empty slot on the left.

Texatdurango

The one seventh from the left and sixth from the right is my favorite. Looks like you are missing one though. :biggrin: Empty slot on the left.
That was a stroke of luck! A few months ago a customer came over to look at my pens, he bought one and I told him I was going to be making a larger model so he said to give him a call when I had them ready. He came over last night and bought the solid black one I made. That and the mandarin yellow which I didn't finish yet, would have made 14 colors.

I think this time I'll get smart and make a few more of what I think will be the best sellers.

If you were to duplicate any colors, which ones would you make? Last show the blues and greens went first and I wished I made more.

mrburls

Very nice range of colors George. I really like the tight swirl pattern you do in your blank mix. I wish companies would offer better looking blanks like you make. I seam to only be able to find that in old vintage materials.

Keith "mrburls"

wizard

George,
All are beautiful pens!! I love the deep blue one the most! LOL...I make one plain looking kitless pen in the the space of a day and half and you make a dozen with plenty of accents.....I would love to see you at work in your shop! Regards, Doc

IPD_Mr

If you were to duplicate any colors, which ones would you make? Last show the blues and greens went first and I wished I made more.

From right to left 2,3,6,10 and your mandrin. I was typing up my post last night not paying any attention to Linda, and she starts pointing to her screen saying I want that. We both hit on the same blue. That one might be your best seller.

cnirenberg

George,
Those are great colors, I really like the assortment. Did you cast the solid orange one? Reminds me of the old Parker pens, I love those.

Texatdurango

George,
Those are great colors, I really like the assortment. Did you cast the solid orange one? Reminds me of the old Parker pens, I love those.
Chris, I'm glad the orange pen reminded you of the Parker "Big Red". I spent several hours, going through a good bit of resin before I came up with that exact color. A friend loaned me her Parker Big Red so I could compare my samples. I think I got really close! I also make a yellow pen which is also a good match to the Mandarin yellow of days past. I figured that since they were such huge hits then, then perhaps folks would still appreciate the colors.

Texatdurango

Thanks for the suggestions on the colors, looks like a few more pens to make but first I need to make a few dozen sections for these pens since the regular sections I make are way too small.

Robert111

I agree with Mike on the blue one, but I need to repeat that I really like those clips! By the way, what are the diameters of the cap and barrel and how long are they?

Texatdurango

From a few PM's received, I think some people might be confused thinking I'm showing the same pens over and over again. These are not the same pens I showed in the past, I use the same formulas for the blanks so they should be the same but the pens are different. Basically, right now I make three different pens (models), each with their own unique characteristics and subtle differences. A fourth model is upcoming but will be the same as the latest large pens shown above only with more silver accent bands.

Here ya go Robert, The pens shown above measure:

5.6" - Overall Capped length
2.6" - Cap length
5.2" - Lower body length (finial to nib tip)
.635" - Cap diameter
.570" to .430" - Lower body diameter (upper dia. tapering to finial dia.)
20g - Weight (with section and nib but no converter or ink)

This photo should show the differences. The top two pens use the 12mm m/s threads while the bottom uses the 14mm m/s threads. The section is thicker and holds the 6mm Bock nib. I think this is the nicest feeling pen I've made to date!

Attachments

• ice blue pens.jpg
    ice blue pens.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
Top Bottom