Some new acrylics

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from pen-turners

Status
Not open for further replies.

pen-turners

Here's some pens from this weekend. The red and blue are Acrylic Acetate and the Grey/Black is Crushed Opal Decora that used to be sold at Woodcraft but is not available any more.

20052172910_blueswirl.jpg

20052173042_IMG_5646.jpg

20052173058_crushedopal.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tipusnr

Do these types of pens really sell that well? I have been watching the variety of pens you, and others, have been producing with interest. I have even purchased some of the materials to use as accents to my wood blanks. Other than solid surface material, I have never turned a pen that didn't contain some wood. If people really want the plastics (in whatever form) I may have to reconsider.

Fred in NC

Very nice, Chris. Very pleasing shape too. Great job!

Tip, I have sold some that are in the same category as these. I like to have a few available. I donated a gold/black Americana pen to the Relay for Life's auction, and it brought a real good price! It looked like a Parker Duofold, and was bought by a collector.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Bill, I think a lot of it is how you market the material. If you let them believe that it is like the material used in the high priced pens of the art deco era (throw out names like Waterman and prices like $100 back then) but better due to new technology, you get a hook into them... perceived value is a great selling point.. the fact that the pens are also beautiful makes it even better...
This selling strategy works best when selling a Euro or Americana style pen, because they look like the art deco era pens... and the best acrylic to duplicate that era is the crushed velvet acrylics...
It works for me... But what the heck do I know.. I am only a penturner, LOL

pen-turners

All,
Thanks for all the comments. Wanted to answer a couple of the questions.
The kits are Comfort grips made without the gripper.
I have always preferred to stick with a traditional shape of the pen and let the materials speak for themselves. Any experienced penturner will tell you that is harder to turn a straight line than a bunch of curves. I have made more complex designs in the past but they do not seem to sell as well although they are neater to look at. The straight lined approach is easily sold because they are very comfortable in the hand while writing.
My best selling kit is the comfort pen without the gripper. It is small enough to carry in pockets which is especially important because most of my sales come from military personnel out here in Hawaii. Although easy to fit in the uniform, it is easier to hold onto than a slimline and has a nice weight to it.
I don't know if it has anything to do with the area I am in but I sell 2-3 times more acrylics than I do wood. Out here in Hawaii, Koa pen turners are a dime a dozen and I probably do so well with acrylics because they are unique and I do not know of anyone else offering them out here. My top selling material is still Curly Koa, followed very closely by any acrylic I can turn out. Although I prefer wood pens for my own use, people seem to like the unique colors of the acrylics I offer at shows. An added bonus is that I can usually get more money for acrylics also.

Chris

PenWorks

Very nice pens Chris, I agree on the pen kit, it is a good one. That is the only slim twist kit I buy, has a real nice looking clip. Great job.

Anthony

Gary

Who makes that kit?

Originally posted by penworks
<br />Very nice pens Chris, I agree on the pen kit, it is a good one. That is the only slim twist kit I buy, has a real nice looking clip. Great job.

Anthony

PenWorks

This is the kit from CSU "soft Grip"
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/cgi-bin/shopper?search=action&keywords=soft-grip-style

Anthony

Gary

I do like the clip on those. I had never paid any attention to the kit because of that rubber grip on it. It never occured to me to use the kit and just leave the grip off.

Originally posted by penworks
<br />This is the kit from CSU "soft Grip"
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/cgi-bin/shopper?search=action&keywords=soft-grip-style

Anthony

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom