Some of my Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Mack C.

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I'm only a beginner to Pen Turning, but photography is my biggest challenge. Tell me how I did.

pens 045.jpg

pens 046.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

broitblat

Great selection of woods, nice finish, and the pictures look good, too.

To my taste, the upper barrel is a bit fat/proud on both of the pens, however.

Thanks for sharing and keep turning :)

-Barry

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Great selection of woods, nice finish, and the pictures look good, too.

To my taste, the upper barrel is a bit fat/proud on both of the pens, however.

Thanks for sharing and keep turning :)

-Barry
Hi Barry; Thanks for that critique. I'm taken with the fatness/proudness, rather than a straight line. Perhaps I'll try toning it down a little bit.

I haven't sold any pens yet, but I'm attempting to get an inventory together for a Craft show the end of Oct.

jskeen

Nice work, and I'm with you, I think a straight bushing to bushing turn on these kits looks a little odd contrasted against the rounded caps. The photography is actually quite good, lighting is even and focus is pretty consistant throughout the depth of field. I would suggest that you try some pics with the pens parallel to the back of your camera instead of at an angle. Pics with one end significantly closer to the lens than the other can distort sizing and introduce other artifacts, as well as making it difficult to got both ends of the pen in sharp focus.

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Nice looking pens. What kit and what wood? How do you finish? Beautiful wood.
Hi Paul; The kits are called Round Top European from www.penblanks.ca a family owned Canadian business. They host a small pen turner's forum "Penturner's Paradise" as well.

The pens are twists in Titanium Gold, stabilized, & dyed box elder burls. My finish is 3 or 4 coats of BLO/CA polished to 12,000 mm, and finished off with a coat of Renaissance wax/polish.

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Nice work, and I'm with you, I think a straight bushing to bushing turn on these kits looks a little odd contrasted against the rounded caps. The photography is actually quite good, lighting is even and focus is pretty consistant throughout the depth of field.
I would suggest that you try some pics with the pens parallel to the back of your camera instead of at an angle. Pics with one end significantly closer to the lens than the other can distort sizing and introduce other artifacts, as well as making it difficult to got both ends of the pen in sharp focus.
Hi jsk; You're not the 1st person to tell me that, and I know what you mean. I've taken a few that way, but they just have a blah look to them in my opinion.
pens 015 to Brian Isabelle, Paradise Swap (Medium).jpg

Top Bottom