Some of my obliques

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Tiaan Burger

Tiaan Burger

I am new to the forum and was asked on the intro thread to post more photos of my work, so here goes:

African blackwood and wild olive
Black%2Bolive%2Ba.jpg

Black%2Bolive.jpg

African blackwood and eucalyptus burl
DSCF4820.JPG

African blackwood and wild olive
DSCF4836a.jpg

DSCF4837a.jpg

African blackwood, pink ivory and carved copper
iris%2Bclose.jpg

iris.jpg

African blackwood and pink ivory
pink%2Bclose.jpg

Pink.jpg

I have a leadwood and copper inlace acrylic with copper band on the lathe, I'll add photos when it is done.

Thank you for looking!

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Absolutely beautiful pieces Tiaan. I have only once seen someone use one of these oblique dip pens. It was at a pen show and the demonstrator was just phenomenal. Kind of creating art with a piece of art, if you like.:biggrin:

Are you any good with them yourself? Or are you like me, can make them but my hand writing is kak. :redface:

By the way....what on earth happened with SA v Japan??? :eek::biggrin:

Wales showed England how it was supposed to be done, today, so I'm happy !!:biggrin:

Last edited:

Tiaan Burger

Skiprat, I am slowly learning copperplate, eventually it will be as good as my pens. I hope!
I am not into rugby, or any sports for that matter. It is always at a bad time, interferes with work, reading, internet and just about everything else.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Superb work Tiaan!

It is so nice to see what is being done by others. Your style is very unique and very refined! Keep posting - these are great.

Well done and welcome to IAP!!!

stonepecker

I would love to watch a video of you making a work of art like that.
Can you explain the reasoning for the design? Also, are these made by sections and then assembled or do you put all the woods together before turning?
I can see where things change material but I don't see any 'joints' persay.

Beautiful work.

ABinBoston

How did you get the very thin accent striping (looks red) on the African Blackwood and wild olive pen?

Tiaan Burger

Thank you all for the replies, I am quite overwhelmed!

I would love to watch a video of you making a work of art like that.
Can you explain the reasoning for the design? Also, are these made by sections and then assembled or do you put all the woods together before turning?
I can see where things change material but I don't see any 'joints' persay.

Beautiful work.

Stonepecker, I use two doweling methods:
Either a turned dowel on one end of a piece of wood, and a drilled hole to fit on the other piece, or two holes with some sort of doweling, usually some metal tubing. After a test fit to make sure I have all the bits in the the right order I use a slow cure epoxy; all the bits are stacked and clamped overnight.

How did you get the very thin accent striping (looks red) on the African Blackwood and wild olive pen?

ABinBoston, I use a resin impregnated fibre board, almost like thick paper.
These are sometimes used as isolating card inside electrical motors. Most motor rewinders use this type of card.
You can try one of the knifemaking suppliers such as Yantz, look for "fibre liner" or "handle liner".

Cut into squares and a hole drilled in the center, then rubbed on sandpaper to get rid of the burr raised by the drill. I have found that one needs to use a very stiff dowel when using a couple of the fibre "washers" to limit flex and tool chatter,

darrin1200

Beautiful holders Tiaan. I really like the material combinations.
I'm still working on single wood prototypes, to get the techniques down.

Do you in the flange in as well as epoxy it?

Have you tried the removeable zanerian flange yet? (its what I am working on)

Top Bottom