Some of my new resin pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from JohnU

JohnU

I havent made many pens lately but the girls at work have been hounding me for some new ones so I managed to get a couple done. The first two are classic twist. The ornage and white is one of Jeff Powells blanks and the green and yellow is a self cast, as close as I could get to a Green Bay Packers pen.

The second group are cigars. The first one is from Exoticblanks.com. Its one of Ed Browns Fiery Flow blanks. The second is a self cast Abalone Shell pen. The third is also a self cast of some gold nuggets of pr in a black transparent mix. The last one is one of Dawn's Galaxy Blue blanks from Exoticblanks.com.

All of the tubes were painted and the pens were finished with micromesh and buffed.

All comments appreciated. Thanks, John

Attachments

• Classic Twists_800x473.JPG
    Classic Twists_800x473.JPG
    85.2 KB · Views: 302
  • Cigars_388x600.JPG
    Cigars_388x600.JPG
    93.9 KB · Views: 402
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
If you pick anything as better than the abalone, remember that old commercial:

"It's NOT NICE to FOOL Mother Nature!!! (lightening bolt)"

All cool pens, but I'm not gonna mess with mother!!!!

cnirenberg

John,
The Abalone Shell cigar is a favorite. I'm also a big fan of Jeff's orange swirl. Ya gotta keep the girls in the office happy....no baked goods for you. Thanks for posting these.

jttheclockman

No question hands down the abalone shell is tops. Is that done with strips or loose pieces??? Are they low enogh to be covered with resin or some other finish is needed??? Are you making these blanks for sale ??? Thanks for showing.

ctubbs

Alright, so I'm a bit different. My fav is the blue one. However, all the pens are gorgious. thanks for posting.
Charles

JohnU

Thanks for all the comments. I think I like the first and last cigars the best. It was fun to get in the shop for a day. I sent 9 pens and all were scarfed up in a few minutes. I didn't charge them anything but one was nice enough to bring me a case of beer and some home made ravs so at least I will have something to eat and drink while I make more blanks. Lol

No question hands down the abalone shell is tops. Is that done with strips or loose pieces??? Are they low enogh to be covered with resin or some other finish is needed??? Are you making these blanks for sale ??? Thanks for showing.

They are small single pieces from New Zealand. I love the look but hate the work. This one pen took me three hours just to cover the tubes with shells. Not to mention how long it took to sort out the usable shells from the thick ones. Then there's the at least one day wait for the ca to degas and the cleaning of the shells before pouring the resin. Way too much work for a cigar pen. I do make them for sale but I'm a little low on shells and time but hope to get more done and up at exoticblanks.com before Christmas.

workinforwood

Awesome pens John! I really want to say the abalone is my favorite, the way you crackle those up and put them back together is absolutely my favorite technique, but I'm not a huge fan of such an awesome blank matched with that cigar kit. My favorite pen here is the one right beside it with the busted up gold pieces.

Top Bottom