Some more inventory

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Old Griz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Did these yesteday while the little one was at school....
All Round Top Euros from Berea... a real nice kit.. no tenon to cut.. and uses a Parker Style refill... very smooth action .. one of my better selling pens..

Bethlehem Olive Wood Burl... sweet stuff..
2005419152151_BOWEuro.jpg

Big Leaf Maple Burl
2005419152258_BLMapleEuro.jpg

Big Leaf Maple Burl
2005419152334_BLMapleEuro2.jpg

Wild Plum from Washington State
2005419152411_PlumEuro.jpg

Spalted Sycamore

2005419152450_SPSycamoreEuro.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

Very nice Tom! I like the color of the Wild Plum. Interesting...I didn't realize that the Berea kit didn't require a tenon; that makes it more appealing to me! :)

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Your gonna love it Johnny... it makes one of the nicest pens you will ever do.. but be careful it is heat sensitive because of all the oil in the wood.. you may also find some voids as you turn... a little thick CA with a hit of mild accellerator should take care of those.. you can see where there was a void near the tip on this one..
I do not use a friction finish on any BOW.. I sand to 6000 MM then use cellulose sanding sealer sanded again to 6000 MM then either 2 coats of TSW or a CA finish.. depending on whether I want a semigloss or real glossy finish.. the one above has the TSW finis followed by Ren wax

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
No tenon, Jim.. instead you turn the wood down directly to the tube.. it does help to purchase the Berea cap gauge.. especially is you intend to do a bunch of these as well as the Perfect Fit Convertibles or Flat Top Americans... it is a cheap help for setting the distance...
When you guys come over we will do one so you can see...

Rifleman1776

It's happened again. [:0] I'm confused. [?] Aren't the European kits from Berea the same as those from CSUSA, Arizona Silhouette and Beartooth Woods? In fact, I thought AS kits were from Berea. I have bought from those sources (never Berea direct) and their kits do require a tenon. Do we now have another name confusion thing? A same named kit but different depending on who it is purchased from. I have never understood why the tenon was necessary. The same kit could just be manufactured with a smaller hole in the center band. But someone out there wants to make it difficult, I guess.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Frank, there are a couple of different style Euro kits.. some take Cross refills, these normally need a tenon cut into the wood to put on the centerband...
This one is the Round Top Euro, it is a Berea kit and AS sells it also... it is different from the CSU and other kits... it uses a Parker refill and instead of cutting a tenon to size to fit the centerband, you cut the wood on that end of the cap all the way down to the tube and the Centerband is a press fit. It also requires using the B mandrel from Berea... if you are not using a B mandrel then you are not making this kit...
It is not a case of making it difficult, it is a case of each company having their own designers who do things in different ways.. just like Dodge, Ford and Chevy...

Rifleman1776

Griz said, "It is not a case of making it difficult, it is a case of each company having their own designers who do things in different ways.. just like Dodge, Ford and Chevy..."
Always the critic on this end, I do believe it is a matter of making things more difficult in a warped (OK, make that a more diplomatic 'misguided') attempt to hold customers to their company and product. Ford doesn't call their trucks 'Dodge'.
There may be an effort to make a chart of all the kits, mandrels, misleading named sizes, etc. so that we can tell what is what. That may not be possible with same names being used for different products, different names for same products, sizes called something they aren't, ad infinauseum.
I'm hanging in there with my KISS principle of doing things (Keep It Simple Silly [:p] ). I will only make pens that go on a 7mm mandrel and stick with what I know. Oh, well. End of today's sermon.

Gregory Huey

If you get that bar any higher I am going to need a airplane to see it. GREAT job Griz. That is the same kit as I buy wholesale from Woodwrite up in Pa. They also have a exectutive slim line that takes a parker refill. Bet you would like it also. Check them out www.woodwrite.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom