Some more "free-form" slimlines

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from DigBaddy72

DigBaddy72

I call these free form, simply because I am more likely to practice some turning techniques on the slim lines. I've found that I really like to practice with a skew on the slim lines. Something I am not about to try on the more expensive pen kits.

So tonight I challenged myself to turn only using a skew (except when turning to round, I used a roughing gouge for that).

These three pens are the result of my practice. Overall I am pretty happy with them!

The first one is redheart. I was practicing turning beads. Got a couple to look pretty good on it. I really like to turn redheart, it finishes so deep!

The second one was my first attempt at a captured ring on a pen. This is ambrosia maple. Again..I did it all with just a skew, granted, I have 3 different sized skews and those helped.

The third is an interesting piece of wood. Not sure what it is, I got it in a box of blanks from ldubia here on IAP. I really liked how rough the darker wood was so I put a few coats of CA on it and then hit it with a coat of Hut.

Overall I'd say I did pretty good. Hope to get even better with a skew..I REALLY like using it, and it is one of the easiest tools to sharpen by hand!

As always, C&C is welcome, and if I have mis-identified a piece of wood, PLEASE correct me, I am still learning my woods!

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1205.JPG
    IMG_1205.JPG
    115.9 KB · Views: 259
  • IMG_1204.JPG
    IMG_1204.JPG
    116.8 KB · Views: 280
  • IMG_1206.JPG
    IMG_1206.JPG
    108.4 KB · Views: 261
  • IMG_1207.JPG
    IMG_1207.JPG
    124.7 KB · Views: 217
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mason Kuettel

My experience with making the "fun" shapes is that they are only fun to make because they don't sell well for me. I think you have some cool looking pens, though!

Interestingly enough, I made a pen similar to the 3rd one (top and bottom barrel switched) and my grandfather snatched it right up...has even told me he would pick it over a Tru-Quarter pen!

plantman

I agree. They are fun to do, interesting to look at, but they just don't sell. I think people that look at them think home made. Just my honest thoughts. Nice work however. Jim S

I also think that second pen is a standout. Great work with that skew. You can turn your entire pens with that skew it is a great tool and is what I usually use start to finish. Nice job on all of these pens and great idea to get really good with that skew.

Top Bottom