Here are some of my castings

P1030859.jpg

P1030861.jpg

P1030862.jpg

P1030865.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stevers

Hey Dale,
Not sure about the top one. 2 is nice, and I like 4 also. See a little tube in 3. I've had that happen more times then I care to mention. I never know till I turn them, and then I see the tube. My wife usually gets those. She likes the look, says it looks cool and matches the kit.

dalemcginnis

Local Chapter Leader
108 views and only 1 response, guess everyone else was speechless at my great castings.:D

Actually Steve I'm not wild about the top one either though it looks better in person. It didn't come out like I hoped.
Number 3 has quite a bit of tube showing, though with the color of the cast it also doesn't look too bad in person. I'm still struggling with the transparency of my blanks and finding a method of coloring my tubes that doesn't come off or produce blotches when I glue them. Thought I had found a method but it did not work at all on this one.
Number 4 also has tube showing by design. I did a swirl of blue and clear resin with a little copper pearlescence thrown in. Gave it a kind of 3D effect.

bitshird

Originally posted by dalemcginnis

108 views and only 1 response, guess everyone else was speechless at my great castings.:D
Dale, they're probably just embarrassed cause they can't do as well [}:)] I think they look OK, the tube thing ? I just powder coat and hope for the best, ;);)

stevers

The trick is to paint the tube "and" the inside of the blank. It's a lot easier then I thought it was going to be. Just point the paint nozzle into the hole and spray. The excess will be turned off anyway. I have also used Q-tips and dabbed it in. Either will work.

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Nay, we're not asleep. It just takes some of us a bit longer. I'm not fond of the first but the others have very nice coloring. My niece would like the first one. Nice work!

MobilMan

Not really that bad Dale. That's the fun of it all. Find the mistakes & go for better next time. You're almost there. A lot of people will look at the 3rd one & not notice the tube unless you tell them or they are also penmakers/turners. It kinda blends in. I found out that sanding the tubes & using paint primer instead of paint, the CA has no effect on it. You might remove a bunch of the tubes & get them primered ahead of time. That way you won't have that waiting time. I like your swirls & looks like you've got a good fit.

bdonald

good job! Just got through casting 16 pen and 14 bottle stopper blanks, and love seeing other's work to look for things to expect, as well as the comments on them. Thanks Dale

Top Bottom