Some Jr Gent's

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mark james

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
My brother asked for 8 pens for his IT Department at a Bank. This group has to satisfy the Fed's (Federal Reserve Board) compliance requirements... Not too much stress there (Ha Ha... Bank... Stress Test...Oh well, bad joke).

The photo upload is a new group format, so this is a test for me also.

# 1 - Group Photo
# 2 - Bloodwood/Maple; Camphor/Claro Walnut
# 3 - Manzanita/Claro Walnut: Box Elder/Claro Walnut
# 4 - Mesquite/Claro Walnut; Curly Toon/Claro Walnut
# 5 - Amboyna (Heartwood-sapwood)/Claro Walnut; Black Ash Burl/Claro Walnut

All pens had a white veneer from used credit cards... (Banker's pens...) :wink:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RKB

Mark, Those are some very fine examples of beautiful blanks assembled into super fine pens. I am sure they will just love 'em. What finish did you decide to use?

Rod

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Mark, Those are some very fine examples of beautiful blanks assembled into super fine pens. I am sure they will just love 'em. What finish did you decide to use?

Rod

Hi Rod: For these I went with a matte finish, so used what I had available - A 2 year old 3 oz bottle of "Shine Juice"!

http://eddiecastelin.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/docs/shinejuice.54184110.pdf

I do not play well with CA finishes; I like walnut Oil, Danish Oil, and most recently (six-12 months) Wipe On Polyurethane. I really like the WOP, but you have to be patient - I allocate 2 days for that finish! Apply WOP, wait 3-4 hrs apply again... sand, repeat 4-6 times. Allow to set for 48 hrs before assembling. NO, I am not a production turner - if I make 1 nice pen a week, I am happy (90% are give-aways).

I have been playing with spray can "Water based Polyurethane" and "Gloss Lacquer." I sprayed a maple stick (sanded, but not turned), 6 times last week, and I was guardedly pleased. I like the urethanes (Polyurethanes) as they are more able to tolerate shrinkage and swelling with humidity in woods. I really like woods! But humidity will take a toll, and I won't go to CA, as I could simply buy plastic instead... (which I do when appropriate).

jttheclockman

Like the subtle segmenting to break up the wood. Looks very well done. I am a fan of Watco lacquer in a spray can if i have to go that route. You can add as many coats you like without having to sand between coats.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Like the subtle segmenting to break up the wood. Looks very well done. I am a fan of Watco lacquer in a spray can if i have to go that route. You can add as many coats you like without having to sand between coats.

I appreciate the suggestion. I like the WOP, but am very open to easier options - I have the time, but a quicker finish would be nice.

Be well!

JimB

Beautiful group of pens! I use WOP on most of my pens and on many other small turning and some bowls. Since I am never in a rush I usually wait until the next day for the next coat. It is my favorite finish because it is easy to apply and has hardly any odor.

OZturner

Glorious Pens, Mark.
Beautiful Segmented Blanks, containing Spectacular Woods and Combinations,
Outstanding Fit and Finish.
You should have a very happy group of Bankers, Now is the time to ask for that Loan :wink:
Thanks for Sharing your Craftsmanship.
Brian.

Top Bottom