And some happy men...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from YoYoSpin

Status
Not open for further replies.

YoYoSpin

EPR Mother Earth closed end Baron with a "dancing men" coat button countersunk into the base. This will be one of my favorites...
MyResin54e.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

The blank is really sweet, and I like most of it, except the end with the button. IMHO, it just is too big given the finial on the cap. I think an EPR finial that was closer to the size of the other end would look better by giving the overall shape more balance. But that's just MHO, and I'm sure many others will love it! From a fit and finish perspective, it is your typical, excellent work.

M

Mudder

Hey Ed,

If enough of us say pretty please do you think you might do a tutor of how you countersink those buttons?

YoYoSpin

Mudder,

It's really very simple, assuming the button or whatever you're going to use is calibrated (a fixed diameter) and matches the diameter of a Forstner bit you've got laying around...

After the closed-end blank has been drilled and the brass tube glued in, make sure the blank is square and the tube hole is dead center. Then re-mount the un-turned blank in your pen drilling vice and drill a shallow hole in the end of the blank (the closed end side of the blank) with an appropriately sized Forstner bit. At this point, make sure the button will fit in the hole. Then mount the piece on your lathe/pen-chuck and use the dimple at the bottom of the hole (counterbore) you've drilled to align you're tailstock live-center point.

If you've got an odd sized button, you can still use this process, with a Forstner bit that'll leave a hole that's close but not quite big enough. Then you'll have to widen the hole for the button to fit, on the lathe. The Dancing men button is about 11/16", so I pre-drilled a 5/8" counterbore, turned the pen, then did some very careful widening of the 5/8" hole using a skew as I finished the blank.

Hope that helps...

Darley

Originally posted by Murphy
<br />Thanks, I better get out lots of scrap wood and get practicing. It makes your pens very distinctive.

Better to have a good sotck ot scrap wood, that what I practicing for about 5 months, practice, practice,practice,practice.

Ed I love this one, awesome

Ron Mc

Ed,
These closed end Barons with the countersunk accent pieces are great! I really like this one. Am I reading the thread right? These are buttons off of clothes?

YoYoSpin

Ron,

Yes, that is correct. I'm always on the lookout for things that are round, and that can be easily used in turnings...clothes buttons, cabochons, conchos, rhinestones, Christmas tree ornaments, scrap-booking embellishments. Even made a box once using a big round belt buckle.
Mahogany_2e.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom