Some good - some bad

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from dbledsoe

dbledsoe

The finish on this Amboyna/Alt Bone Baron looks pretty good, but the scallops look like they were done with a butcher knife. I can't decide if it is my tools or my techniques that won't let me make them even.
Anyone with suggestions for getting the cuts precise, I am listening. Any other comments are welcome also.

Attachments

• Ambsc2.jpg
    Ambsc2.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 263
  • AmbSc.jpg
    AmbSc.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 318
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

LL Woodworks

I know that we as pen makers know our problems and "defects" and are very critical of our own work. That is, after all, how we improve; but customers will never see the slightly unevenness and our other imperfections. That is what makes each pen unique :)

They'll be in awe of the pen's uniqueness and beauty.

I fight the same issue. I try to make sure the blank is squared up after each step, and the blank sits square and securely as I make each angled cut. I usually find I have gotten away from the basics.

Nice pen by the way.

jimjam66

Looks good to me! Any kind of segmentation is super sensitive to the slightest shake while cutting, a good solid bandsaw sled is worth it's weight in gold. I know, cos I don't have one ...

BSea

I also agree, the scallops look very close to me.

One little tip that helped me. I round the part of the blank that I'm going to use for the scalloped end. Then I draw a ring around where I want the scallops to go. I then use my disk sander to sand the angle from the center of the tip to the ring. If you drill dead center, your scallops should all be even. I know with a really nice precise jig, you should be able to get even closer to perfect. But many of us don't have all the best tools for this sort of pen making.

dbledsoe

Thanks to everyone for the comments and suggestions. I have a hard time getting the scallops even, so I will try the suggestions. I have been cutting them on my little 10 in Delta band saw, but I just can't seem to get them in the right place. I made a sled for it, but it is pretty crude. I have a whole new respect for the others I have seen on the site.

Top Bottom