Some Fountain Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Jim in Oakville

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I had a window of heat in the shop and made these today.

IMG_0120.jpg

They are El Toro fountain pens (Arizona Silhouette) on celluloids from Craft Supply. I selected titanium gold and rhodium for the hardware.

IMG_0118.jpg

This design is my best selling fountain pen.:)

Comments and critiques are all welcomed.;)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

george

Great pens. Man, I have a long way to go. I have never with celluloids materials. Is there some king of special finish for this material ? Otr is it just sanding and buffing ?

Thank you for answer, George

Originally posted by george
<br />Great pens. Man, I have a long way to go. I have never with celluloids materials. Is there some king of special finish for this material ? Otr is it just sanding and buffing ?

Thank you for answer, George

Thanks all for your kind comments,

Thank You Jeff for the IAP cover as well..[:)]
George;

Nothing special about what I do. I wet sand with Wet Dry paper. 400-600, then switch to Micro Mesh, sanding from 1500 through to 12,000, then I polish with Novus 2 paste. These are trade names of products, I do not know if they are available to you where you live.

There are other ways to sand and get the same finish, others may comment on their methods, but this is what works for me.[:)]

Originally posted by gerryr
<br />Nice work, Jim. Do these sell better for you in plastic than in wood?

Hi Gerry,

Thanks for your thoughts.

I find I sell mostly non wood, so celluloids and some acrylics, but also a fair amount Curtis's prickly pear cactus too.

IMG_0135.jpg

The colour red seems to sell very well for me, followed by blue, in both acylic/celluloids and also the cactus. I am careful with the wood I choose for this pen kit, the ones that sell in wood are curly koa and amboyna, but the balance of my sales is about 75% non wood. That is my experience in my sales. I also sell more of these pens via a locally gallery than from my craft shows.[:)]

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Jim, you have convinced me[}:)] I'm gonna have to order a couple of those now.

Do you get to choose the gold or two tone nibs? ( first pic) or do the gold kits get gold nibs and the siver ones get the two toned?

Originally posted by skiprat
<br />Jim, you have convinced me[}:)] I'm gonna have to order a couple of those now.

Do you get to choose the gold or two tone nibs? ( first pic) or do the gold kits get gold nibs and the siver ones get the two toned?

Hi Steven,

Thank You[:)]

Well you would think that would make sense, but the last 20 I bought were packaged with the all gold nib with the platinum HW and the two tone with the Ti gold HW. I really don't care for the all gold look, prefering the two tone for both looks, but you get what you get and I have organized my nibs so that the two tone go on the platinum to compliment the look. The all gold nib can be buffed I have been told to remove the gold and leave an all steel look, I have yet to try that. Next time I order kits I will be asking for only two tone.

As far as sales go, very few people ask me to switch the all gold nib from the pens, they Buy what they see or like.

My source for this kit is Az S, so I have to have them drop shipped to a friend in the US who remails it to me. I am hoping to find a Canadian source.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom