Some Firsts..

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from TellicoTurning

Status
Not open for further replies.
My first attempt at doing an alternate CB.. the guy who gave me this said he was told it was gopher wood, but he thought it was really mulberry.. the center band is water buffalo horn with gun metal trim.

200611625628_EP-WB-MULB.jpg

This one is my first attempt at corncob.. got the cob from Wallyworld.. indian corn in the produce dept..

200611625753_EP-WG-CORN.jpg

This one is my first attempt at using CA and BLO.. need more practice for sure.. Jr. Gentlemen Rollerball, Desert Iron Wood and Deer horn cap. This one had lots of extra parts that didn't go into the pen... from CSUSA marked 10K JR Gentleman RB No Endcap...but I have an end cap, also had another chrome piece that looked like an end cap and a plastic piece that couldn't figure where it went.. also the bushings that came with the kit didn't fit the tubes.. go figure that.. I didn't see it until a bit ago, but the horn is a little proud on the center band... not a good attempt.

20061163220_JR-WH-DEIR.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skye

Man, that freakin black threaded part on the baron kit, dont get me started!

The antler is proud, but it's a good looking combo. Considering the problems with it (missing pieces and all) you may want to disassemble it and go at it again. It's an easy kit to take appart. Personaly, I would have turned the bottom end a little more. I tihnk the lower end being larger looks odd. I do like that you were able to leave the bark on the upper half.

Corncob aint half bad. It's a tough thing to do because you have to fill like crazy. Good practice for other woods.

The first one is nice, love the centerband. You should be able to get a lot of those from one blank. I think the lower end is a little thick though.

It's all personal prefrence, so this is just my spin on them.

The horn kit is supposed to be a JR Gentlemen.. CSUSA doesn't sell a Baron do they?

It was getting late for supper and I rushed a bit or wouldn't have put it together with the proud center band.

on the fat lower barrels, I tend to do that because I like them fatter for my hands.. getting a little of old "Arthur there"... need to work on getting them turned down a little better.

I wasn't missing parts.. like working on a Model "A".. I had parts left over and it still works .. go figure

Looking forward to trying another corn cob.. I'll get better with practice.

I have about 4 pieces of left over pieces of buffalo horn.. about 1-1/2 each.. lots of center bands there..

Thanks for your comments.. good review.

Skye

I've only seen Barons at Arizona so far, but I dont venture across stores often.

If you like the corncobs, try to track down a stabilized one. It's a big difference. I've turned both, found natural ones to be a little unpredictible, the stabilized ones are like turning wood.

The lower barrels may be good for you, but I'd turn a few that are more traditional as well to put in your store. I've learned that what I like means squat. Customers can be as opposite as humanly possible in tastes.

Man, you need to put that buffalo havana up here for review. I like that thing [:)]

Hi CHuck,

I like the pen with the centre band the best.

I have to admit I never have been a fan of corn cobb or horn/bone pens, they just are not my cup of tea...[:)].

I see where Skye's comment is correct on the fit of the one pen, it's not always easy to know when to stop on the cut, but too much of a lip doesn't feel right either...you sould have seen some of the speed bumps I used to leave on my older pens...[:0]

Skye,
I turn most of my pens to more traditional sizes... you're right what I like isn't necessarily what my customers like. The Mulberry probably won't be offered for sale.. it was mostly an experiment and not finished as well as I like.. I'll either take it apart and refinish or use it as a shop pen.

I have to fix the horn... can't leave it proud on the CB

tks

Originally posted by ozmandus
<br />Skye,
I turn most of my pens to more traditional sizes... you're right what I like isn't necessarily what my customers like. The Mulberry probably won't be offered for sale.. it was mostly an experiment and not finished as well as I like.. I'll either take it apart and refinish or use it as a shop pen.

I have to fix the horn... can't leave it proud on the CB

tks

Chuck,

I some times use calipers set to a size that I want to turn to as my check for diameter rather than the bushings, especialy for a critical fit, it works well for me, but super light final cuts really are important to sneak up on that size..

TBone

Chuck, I like the horn center band. Something about those contrasting bands that I really like. The horn/ironwood looks good and will be great when you touch up the area at the band. Good work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom