Some Ebonite

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Joe S.

Joe S.

Here is one in ebonite. I got it from the Pass-It-Forward box #1 and used another nib housing that Dawn sent me. These housings are nice to work with, and probably what I'll use most often if/when they stock them. I'll try the other variety small housing next, and then find a tap for one of the bigger ones. I'm not real happy with the finial and I'll make a new one later. Next time I use ebonite I want to use something else for the outside threads, these are soft and ugly. I also noticed that I have the grain going the wrong way on the cap, oops! C&C is encouraged, appreciated, and helps me learn. Remember Carl's thread!

DSC_1013.jpg

DSC_1012.jpg

DSC_1011.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Twissy

Nicely done Joe. Personally I prefer to have the pattern on the cap opposite to that of the barrel with that type of material.
Ebonite usually threads beautifully, so not sure how you got "soft and ugly".

Timebandit

Good looking pen Joe. Proportions look pretty good to me, maybe just a little long on the barrel. How long is it? Front section looks nice. Looks like you got that feed housing way inside of the front section. Was this intentional or accidental? The threads defanitely look a little buggered up. What size of a tenon did you use? Did you use lubricant? Ebonite is a little softer than other materials, but should thread nicely. Its been used for ages, and is a great material for pens. In the picture it looks like the finial is off just a little bit. Is it flush with the cap? Looks like its off to the side a little bit. Might just be the angle of the pics.

Oh, and i always reverse the direction of the cap with this ripple material. I think is looks much better with them radiating away from each other rather than dripping in one direction. Keep up the good work.

Joe S.

Now that's the kind of comment I like to see! The body is 3, 7/16". Maybe it's a little long, but that is easy to fix next time. I didn't actually measure the tenon I'm embarrassed to admit, that might have something to do with it. I just measured the OD of the threads and it's 12.79mm. I did use oil for lube. The finial doesn't meet the cap all the way around, I think it's because the groove for the clip isn't deep enough. I still want to make a new one. Thank you for the awesome comments!

Brooks803

I agree that the alternating pattern is aesthetically pleasing. The cap finial does look a bit off. You can try making the clip relief a TOUCH deeper. Too deep and your clip may wiggle. You could also taking an exacto knife and cut away the first bit of thread. That'll change the stopping point of the finial and it may line up better. A little oil on the tenon can help with cutting the threads.

On the length of your pen body...is that with the section and nib or just from the cap threads to the end?

PR_Princess

I like what you did with that!

The grain being opposite on the cap is actually a pretty cool effect.

Ditto, for me! Given your intent, I'd say the grain orientation is a happy accident. I love it when that happens! Russ

And for me as well!! Looks just amazing Joe!!:):):)

LOL but at the rate you are progressing - its going to be a VERY short summer!!! :eek::)

Top Bottom