Some different wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Phil Hansen

Phil Hansen

Been busy with flat work for a while but managed to get some pens done.
Went to my local beverage supplier a few weeks ago and he had bags of sickle bush firewood there. Looked interesting so took it home with the beer.
Sickle bush/tree (dichrostachys cirerea) is a tree which is one of those dry area trees and loved by buck for the leaves. Grows to 7m high with a 3m crown.
Next is sneezewood (ptaeroxylon obliquum). Great wood for fenceposts as it is hard. It has great chatoyance (sp) which might not come across too well in the pics.
The ebony has been in a friends family for over 100 years - passed down from grandfather etc - originally from the old Rhodesia. It was too short for a full pen so put in a piece of white milkwood to get the length.
The last is a bellagno blank from Peter at 'Wood of 1 Kind'. Polishes up nicely.
Thanks Peter.

Also thanks to Mack for the idea of the one piece shape. I like it and it works well.

Sorry the sneezewood pic has got out of sych. It is now the last one.

Phil

Attachments

• sicklebush.jpg
    sicklebush.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 186
  • ebony-milkwood.jpg
    ebony-milkwood.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 172
  • bellagno.jpg
    bellagno.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 158
  • sneezewood.jpg
    sneezewood.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 173
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wood-of-1kind

Phil, that's some nice 'work' that you have created there. The one piece 'construction' on the bellegno blank is my favourite of the lot. Keep busy and keep on turning.

-Peter-:)

Christian

I've admired these in the UK already Phil, don't push it!!
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::wink:

(edited cos my winks gone wonky??)

Last edited:
Top Bottom