Some Butterfly Wings

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dai Sensei

Dai Sensei

Well these are proving harder than feathers :eek:. Thought I would give and update before going on holidays down south, as I wont be turning another pen for a while.

I experimented with small parts of wings to see how they reacted to the glues and resins. I was hopeful I was on a winning technique and tried my first with the brown ones. It worked a treat :cool: so progressed with the brighter colured wings, including some of the iridescent blue ones I was given.

Unfortunately that's when I ran into more troubles :frown:. Nearly all the iridescent ones turned dark green/brown in the resin :eek:. The only problem I had in the trials was the blue lost its iridescence (I assumed due to changing the refractive index), although parts of the blue did change colour, but only until the glues dried when it turned back to blue. Perhaps the heat from a full cast cooked them :confused:. But one worked, the second pen using multiple wings :confused:.

The 3rd pen is the only one that sort of worked from those I cast with single wings on variable backgrounds. This one was on a plain black nickel tube but there are some wierd whitening. Not separations, looks more like a glue reaction, so hopefully it will come good again. The others were blue wings on backgrounds using interference paints over black tubes. I tried highlights in gold, and another dry brushed to make the tube look like mother of pearl. Unfortunately the wings turned a dark green/brown colour during the casting :frown: and the interference colours turned plain whitish.

1_butterfly1.jpg

1_butterfly2.jpg

1_butterfly3.jpg

Cheers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GoodTurns

Had a request at my show last weekend for a buttefly wing pen....may have to give it a shot! Thanks for the info and the cool pens to look at!

JohnU

Very nice. I tried monarch once with some success. As you said, often you lose the color when the resin soaks in. Similar with feathers, only more brittle. Keep up the good work!

Buzzzz4

I was wondering how butterfly wings would work. Thanks for trying and reporting. Now I know I won't be trying. Too many other fun things to cast...now where is that cat again?

Top Bottom