Solar Dust

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Brooks803

Brooks803

This was my submission in this years kitless contest.

This started out as a black ebonite fountain pen that I transformed into what you see now. I call the look "Solar Dust". I started with a black basecoat followed by various sized metal flake. Then I sprayed a couple thin coats of chameleon paint and finished the whole thing in automotive clear coat.

Dimensions:

Capped: 5 1/4" ~ 133mm
Cap: 2 1/8" ~ 54mm
Body: 3 3/8" ~ 86mm
Body + Nib: 5" ~ 127mm
Posted: 6" ~ 152mm

Nib & Ink:

#6 Two Tone Heritance in Medium
Cartridge/Converter/Eyedropper

DSC05499 (900x900).jpgDSC05503 (900x900).jpgDSC05504 (900x900).jpgDSC05511 (900x345).jpgDSC05500 (900x900).jpg

Thanks for looking!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Very lovely pen, Jonathon !! Some of the larger metal flakes appear to be hexagonal .... I like that ! :)

OZturner

Glorious Blank, Jonathon, such Fantastic Depth.
Superb Pen, Magnificent Machining and Finish.
Ideal Profile, Line, and Proportions.
Absolutely Stunning.
Congratulations,
Brian.

Brooks803

Add it to the list of pens. You know the ones!

You mean add it to my pen case that's specifically for you that has a combination lock, padlock, and biometric security scan on it? :tongue:

Very lovely pen, Jonathon !! Some of the larger metal flakes appear to be hexagonal .... I like that ! :)

Thanks! They're all hexagonal, it's just that some are .004" or smaller so you can't really tell. The larger ones I place by hand so I don't overcrowd any area.

Wow for sure Jonathon! I just want to keep looking at it!

Thanks Charlie! In hand it's even better. The way it changes color as you spin it. You can easily lose track of time!

Lovely finish. Looks Japanese.

Thanks! That was the look I was after :biggrin: I'm a big fan of the Japanese pens...Urushi mainly. I just love the Raden technique. It's something I want to try one day.

Brooks803

Charlie_W

Jonathon,
I am still looking!...

Observation/Question: I notice that the section appears to have a mat finish. I see the barrel right next to it with a brilliant gloss shine. I am surprised no one has mentioned this yet. Great planning and design element! It really helps the pen body to catch the eye.
Is this just the bare ebonite or a sandblasted mat finish? I see no turning marks or finishing marks. (Of course!) It does not even seem to be burnished.
I do like this look against the slick painted finish. It appears to give a tactile surface to the section.

Brooks803

Jonathon,
I am still looking!...

Observation/Question: I notice that the section appears to have a mat finish. I see the barrel right next to it with a brilliant gloss shine. I am surprised no one has mentioned this yet. Great planning and design element! It really helps the pen body to catch the eye.
Is this just the bare ebonite or a sandblasted mat finish? I see no turning marks or finishing marks. (Of course!) It does not even seem to be burnished.
I do like this look against the slick painted finish. It appears to give a tactile surface to the section.

lol...can't blame you Charlie! I have it sitting on my desk and I pick it up and get lost in it all the time.

Great observation :wink:. I wanted the section to somewhat disappear. That and I just love the look and feel of matte ebonite. It is just bare ebonite. No sandblasting or burnishing.

Hey Jonathon awesome pen.. Looks like a good demo for our next meeting.:biggrin:

Thanks Perry! I think I've got to keep this one to myself for quite some time. It's really taking off with pen sales :biggrin:. That and I think the woodcraft would ban me if I were to spray this stuff in their store without ventilation! It's nasty stuff....much worse than PR fumes.

papaturner

Jonathon,
I am still looking!...

lol...can't blame you Charlie! I have it sitting on my desk and I pick it up and get lost in it all the time.

Great observation :wink:. I wanted the section to somewhat disappear. That and I just love the look and feel of matte ebonite. It is just bare ebonite. No sandblasting or burnishing.

Hey Jonathon awesome pen.. Looks like a good demo for our next meeting.:biggrin:

Thanks Perry! I think I've got to keep this one to myself for quite some time. It's really taking off with pen sales :biggrin:. That and I think the woodcraft would ban me if I were to spray this stuff in their store without ventilation! It's nasty stuff....much worse than PR fumes.

:biggrin:Can`t say that I don`t blame you. That`s an awesome pen.

Top Bottom