Soapstone Sedona

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from KDM

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rick P

That is one of the nicest hunks of soap stone I have seen in a long time! Very colorfull, well turned and just beautiful.

Jim Burr

Banned
Fantastic Ken!!! I have a lot of soapstone for just this purpose...just lacking the guts! Any tips or tricks you can pass on?

longbeard

Great looking pen Ken
i've had 5 pieces of soap stone for awhile now, just not sure how to cut it, and turn it. Drilling it should'nt be to bad, any insight on how you done this would be great.
Thank you

KDM

Fantastic Ken!!! I have a lot of soapstone for just this purpose...just lacking the guts! Any tips or tricks you can pass on?
Same advice any turner gives to any other turner: Take the plunge, use very sharp tools and go easy!

I used the heel of a skew in quite a shallow rake and sort of scraped it more than shaving it. It makes a shedload of powder dust: wear a mask.

KDM

Great looking pen Ken
i've had 5 pieces of soap stone for awhile now, just not sure how to cut it, and turn it. Drilling it should'nt be to bad, any insight on how you done this would be great.

What do you meant by "cut it?" I was fortunate enough to be able to buy this one on eBay as a 20x20x130mm piece so it didn't need major cutting. To cut the cap from the barrel, I used a fine-tooth jr. hacksaw.

I admit to a small cheat for drilling: I was too scared of going off-centre, so I roughed it round between a 3-jaw chuck and a live centre, then centre drilled it in the lathe.

sfallsguy

Great looking pen Ken
Thank you

I have cut it, I had a 3x3 x6 block that was a carving block, but I cut blanks from it with a table saw and a combination blade, and no problem. It was probably the third pen I tried, I had it drilled and mounted on the lathe, but was going too fast and it blew apart. Haven't tried the others since, but I did learn from it.

longbeard

Great looking pen Ken
Thank you

I have cut it, I had a 3x3 x6 block that was a carving block, but I cut blanks from it with a table saw and a combination blade, and no problem. It was probably the third pen I tried, I had it drilled and mounted on the lathe, but was going too fast and it blew apart. Haven't tried the others since, but I did learn from it.

Thanks for the info. Dont have a TS but i do have radial arm saw.

longbeard

Stuff i have looks and feels like a rock but was told it was soapstone???
Told it was used for around the kithen sink from an old house.
I will take pics later today and post, 4 or 5 pieces, 3'' or 4'' wide & 5'' to 7'' long?, 3/4'' thick maybe. Thought of using a grinder with a cut-off wheel with a little water to hold the dust down.

KDM

Please do! Would they use soapstone on a sink? It might be fairly easily damaged if you dropped a pot on it, for example. I wonder is your stuff Corian, but maybe in a soapstone pattern?

longbeard

Got the pics, but gonna try to down load from phone in just a bit. Stuff i got feels and looks like stone, couple pieces have cut marks in them but yes, the guy said that they were from around a sink. ???

longbeard

here is what i have
IMG_20120611_104151.jpg
View attachment 76591

shoulda been 3 pics there ???? dont know what happened

Last edited:

KDM

Could be. Soapstone tends to come in different patterns. If you were able to cut it easily, it probably is. I'm no expert, but if you're able to cut into it with a sharp knife, I'd guess it almost certainly is.

longbeard

i'd hate to see the knife that would cut that :eek:
this stuff feels and looks like stone. As you can see in the first pic, the ends of it. If i had a small piece, i would send it to ya. Gonna try the grinder with the cuttin disc on it and see what happens tomarro.

Last edited:

KDM

Nah, nah, nah. If it needs a grinder, it ain't soapstone. Soapstone is so called because it feels like soap. Sort of smooth and alkaliney.

MrWright

Passed Away Oct 12, 2022
In Memoriam
Go heavy on the resperators as Soapstone has ASBESTOS in it and is highly toxic. Check it out first before you start. BUT, I do like those colors and the pretty pen.

MrWright

Passed Away Oct 12, 2022
In Memoriam
I dug some SOAPSTONE just out of Cleaments, CA when I went to a Lapidary Show in Valley Springs, CA. I carved some a Indian Head with a knife, and was told it had ASBESTOS in it. It will feel like a piece of dry soap, with maybe powder on it. Check out the make-up on SOAPSTONE to make sure. If those pieces were on a counter top I doubt hey were real soapstone, just Acrylic to like like it. I may be mistaken, but please be careful.

Top Bottom