Soapstone

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Whaler

Whaler

I have been wanting to try soapstone so I ordered a block on Fri and it came yesterday. It just fit in a large flat rate box and weighed 35#.
It's wonderful stuff to work with (lots of dust, keep the DC running) and takes a nice finish. I used a wood rasp to rough it down close on the lathe and then finished with a skew. I sanded to 600, applied 6 coats of med CA and buffed it out on the Beale wheels topped off with Ren wax.
Wrapped around a Black Ti Sedona.

Attachments

• Soapstone.jpg
    Soapstone.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 148
  • Soapstone1.jpg
    Soapstone1.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 294
  • Soapstone2.jpg
    Soapstone2.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 245
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PaulDoug

Turned out real nice Whaler. It makes good shaving sets also. I use the set I made about 4 times a week for several months now and it is really holding up nicely. I have some African Black soapstone to make another shaving set soon.

JohnU

Great looking pen. Ive always wanted to try soapstone and just havent done it yet. What did you use to cut the block into blanks and did you have any problems drilling it?

Whaler

Great looking pen. Ive always wanted to try soapstone and just havent done it yet. What did you use to cut the block into blanks and did you have any problems drilling it?

John, I cut it on the BS without a problem,drilling and turning are also no problem. It's about the easiest material I have cut and turned.

Top Bottom