Soap Stone on Black Titanium Cigar

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Stick Rounder

Stick Rounder

Hello,

This is my current offering. Soap Stone on Black Titanium Cigar. Yes, real stone. :biggrin: Finished with PR. All comments are welcome.

Attachments

• Soap Stone 1.jpg
    Soap Stone 1.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 382
  • Soap Stone 2.jpg
    Soap Stone 2.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 313
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

drgoretex

Soapstone? Very cool! Looks excellent!

I have about a dozen medium and blocks of soapstone in my shop awaiting carving (yet another hobby...). Had thought to try cutting pen blanks, but didn't have the cahoneys to lathe the stuff (you must have an awesome dust collector!). You have given me the push to get 'er going! I will probably do a CA finish. What is 'PR'?

Cheers

Ken

PaulDoug

The only finish you need on soapstone is polish and wax. Will I guess I shouldn't say that, on a pen some protection would be nice. Nice pen you did. Glad to see soap stone coming up again. I've been working with it lately trying it with wood and SS together. Not on pens. I only made one pen out of it. Where did you get your stone?

Ken I don't use a dust collector when I turn it, afraid it would just clog it up real fast. I am wearing a mask though, well most the time. Not so bad when turning it, but sawing on the band saw... what a mess!

Tanner

I just ordered some soapstone. I think your soapstone looks great, however the pen is too bulbous for my taste. Some people may like that feel in their hands. It's just not for me.

Stick Rounder

Soapstone? Very cool! Looks excellent!

I have about a dozen medium and blocks of soapstone in my shop awaiting carving (yet another hobby...). Had thought to try cutting pen blanks, but didn't have the cahoneys to lathe the stuff (you must have an awesome dust collector!). You have given me the push to get 'er going! I will probably do a CA finish. What is 'PR'?

Cheers

Ken

Ken,

PR is Plastic Resin. After turning the stone I tried a CA finish but it kept comming out wrong, so I cast the two pieces in PR cut and turned the excess off. They were then taken to 12K micro mesh and step 3, 2 and 1 of NOVUS plastic polish.

Attachments

• Soap Stone Cast.jpg
    Soap Stone Cast.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 253

Stick Rounder

The only finish you need on soapstone is polish and wax. Will I guess I shouldn't say that, on a pen some protection would be nice. Nice pen you did. Glad to see soap stone coming up again. I've been working with it lately trying it with wood and SS together. Not on pens. I only made one pen out of it. Where did you get your stone?

Ken I don't use a dust collector when I turn it, afraid it would just clog it up real fast. I am wearing a mask though, well most the time. Not so bad when turning it, but sawing on the band saw... what a mess!

PaulDoug,

Hobby Lobby. They sell carving blocks.

Attachments

• Soap Stone Block.jpg
    Soap Stone Block.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 252
Top Bottom