So you want no finish?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from alamocdc

Status
Not open for further replies.

alamocdc

Well, much at least. Taking a queue from a post by Russ today I decided to try this on a not so oily wood. It works great for Lignum Vitae. I had a piece of Peach rootball left from another pen that was just perfect for a Sierra. After turning, I sanded from 220 to 320 and applied a very thin coat of Mylands Cellulose Sanding Sealer just to make sure I didn't overlook any tiny pits (this piece had a few small inclusions in it). Then I used MM through 12000 and it shined up very nicely. It doesn't have that deep CA or lacquer look, but it's still better than some of my early pens using FP. [:0] The only other thing I did was to apply a coat of TSW to the entire assembled pen.

200642021322_sierraUG_peach_rootball.jpg

This stuff was hard and maybe a little brittle so I'm thinking it should hold up okay.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

I think I am not ready to do a no finish pen yet. If I ever do...it will surely be the harder woods and/or the oily ones (cocobolo, dessert ironwood, lignum vitae, olivewood, etc.)

gerryr

Great job Billy. I tried something similar on a Lignum Vitae cigar and it feels like glass Guess I might experiment with some other woods also.

angboy

Originally posted by alamocdc
<br />Thanks, all! Angela, it's just the rootball from a peach tree. You have to dig them up. You know, the part of the tree where the roots are. [;)]

Well that makes sense! Don't think I'll be digging any up though- I'm much to prissy to do that. [:X] I'd rather charm a member of the opposite sex into doing it for me. [:D][:D] But first, I have to find a peach tree! I think that wood would look nice with one of the satin copper or satin gold pen kits.

Ryan

My daily user pen is a semi non finished pen. It is a figured Jarah and I could not see much figure so I put some BLO on it to pop the figure and It did not turn out like I wanted so I kept it. It gets a good coat of lotion every onece in a while and seems to be happy. I have wanted to do more like this but for some reason have not. I just got a new sketch pencil I am going to keep, so maybe I will do this again on that one and see how it turnes out.

Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom