Snow day means pen day.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Exabian

Exabian

So this winter vortex is still here in chicago and so is the snow. So since I'm stuck here with my lathe :wink: time to turn. This is what I've finished off so far. I got three more pens lined up waiting to be turned.

This is a chrome Manhattan click dressed in a poly called sea shell swirl. C&C welcome. Pics are a couple of quick snaps from my iPhone.

Attachments

• IMG_3916.jpg
    IMG_3916.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_3917.jpg
    IMG_3917.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 132
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Joe S.

First off, the pen looks great and you just inspired me to look into getting some of those kits. One comment I have is the rolled shape on each end, it looks a little funny on that kit. I think the dead straight approach is the way to go here. Just an opinion, don't take it too hard. Your finish is great!

Exabian

First off, the pen looks great and you just inspired me to look into getting some of those kits. One comment I have is the rolled shape on each end, it looks a little funny on that kit. I think the dead straight approach is the way to go here. Just an opinion, don't take it too hard. Your finish is great!

Joe good point. It was my first time using this kit and I made that same observation after I sat back and looked at it, thanks.

A bit of a warning on this kit. The click mechanism is kinda cheap. The biggest draw back is the spring under the plunger, it's circumference is to small and it cause it to jam. I had to disassemble the mechanism to unjam it and widen one end of the spring to prevent future jams. Hope it worked.

I plan on carrying it for a few days to really test the kit out.

Over love the design but the mechanism feels cheap and the above mentioned issue with the spring. I'll do a write up after I test it out.

plano_harry

There is no sign of the tube. :good: Did you polish the hole before painting? I tried a similar blank that had some clear spots and ended up seeing a few drill scratches inside.:mad:

I agree with Joe - wasn't previously interested in that kit, but you made it look good.

That came out great! White back paint? Is the blank pretty transparent?

Thank you. I reversed painted it light grey. It is transparent in some places almost like windows, which gives it a layered look. I all ready ordered more of this blank

longbeard

That turned out pretty good, i like it. I've had a few of those kits for awhile now and have been hesitant about putting one together. Nice job

Harry

Top Bottom