Sneak Preview "The Safety Jack Knife"

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from PenWorks

Status
Not open for further replies.

PenWorks

There was an article in issue # 8 in Stylus magazine about the "rare" Parker Safety Jack Knife pen, known by its nick name "The Turban Top" Now as much as I like modern looking pens and design, I am still nastalgic at heart. I am going to try and put this article into a PDF file for those that might want to read it. But onnce I saw how beautifull they were, I made a line of my own Turban Tops. This preview is one that has been kickaround as my proto type for myself. Since I can't wear my holster and pen on the plane, I thought I would make myself a neck pen for Provo. Some of the features to this pen are....
No pen parts other than the nib housing from a platinum gents pen
All ebonite construction, threaded parts, first time using sterling silver trim, and a sneak peak at the 14K gold nibs I have being made by the German nib company Peter Bock, AG. This is by far, no earth shattering design, but as sweet as pappy's old Modle T. :D

200551743127_neck_pen.jpg

200551743148_carry%20pen%20nib.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenWorks

Well Tim, I will admit to gettng on stage, taking over a drum set and singing Wild Thing, glad those days are behind me....[:D]

PenWorks

Thanks for the comments. The only down side to this pen, do to the size, I have to use an ink cartridge instead of a converter. It is a touch bigger than the Havana FP.

JimGo

Wow Anthony, VERY nice! Did the Ebonite like being tapped better than the PR and/or wood did? It looks like you used coarser threads on the cap than some of the other stuff you posted; I'm guessing that would help too, even with wood. Do the threads interfere with the feel of the nib housing (i.e., does your hand rub against the threads when you use the pen)?

Over all, a very cool design! I'd love to hear about any "issues" you had making it (if you wouldn't mind sharing).

Oh, and thanks a lot...now my wife is going to want one of THESE, too!

PenWorks

Jim, The threads on this were US fine threads, I'm at the office so I can't remeber, but I think it was 9/16/ x 18 , the ebonite being a rubber base material threadds much better then wood or PR.

Jeff, I am going to offer the nibs for sale, but do not know the cost yet. I kind of made the order on a whim, there were allot of variables in the cost, spot price on gold at the time of manufacture, the Euro exchange and I haven't even figured out the duty cost yet.

woodscavenger

I think I will keep my humble ideas here in NC and not bother with the Provo pen show. This is getting serious! In fact I haven't seen Bruce pop in on the forum for a while, I am wondering what he is up to???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom