20075922151_pen1.jpg

Pen: Classic American Fountain Pen [snap top]
Hardware: Gold
Model: Woodcraft #12355 discontinued
Wood: Amboyna Burl [I need some help here, not really
sure about the wood]
Finish: Sanded to 12000MM, CA/BLO, Ren Wax top coat
Finial: "Scales of Justice"

I made this pen for my daughter. She is giving it to her California State Bar coach as a thank you gift for passing the Bar Exam [I've already thanked this guy several $$$ thousand dollars $$$ times!!!]. The pen kit was a close-out at Woodcraft and the price was right. The wood came from the Woodworker's Show at Cal Expo last month. The dealer that sold it to me said is was AMBOYNA BURL, but the color does not look right to me from what I have seen here, at IAP. Any help correctly identifying the wood is appreciated. The "Scales of Justice" finial is from www.woodenpost.com

20075924448_finial.jpg

I blew up three blanks while making this pen. On try number four I drenched the blank in CA as I turned it down, little by very, little! On blank number four I used a Sorby Spindle Master to turn down the blank.

As a newbie, this is my 10th completed pen. Notice I said "completed"? I'm too embarassed to say how many blanks I've turned so I can say "I've made 10 pens!!!"

Thanks for looking, any comments welcome. IAP is a great place.

Bozz in Fair Oaks, CA

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ken69912001

The wood looks like golden amboyna burl. Here is a picture of a jr. gent using the golden amboyna.
Click on the image for a better look at it.
Amboyna has a unique smell to it when turning. Did you notice how it smelled?

Bozz

Ken,

I think you hit the nail on the head. Golden Amboyna Burl makes sense. The dealer that sold it to me said it was Amboyna Burl. He had two buckets of the wood. One bucket was red colored, and the other bucket was the gold color. I purchased some from each bucket. This blank has about 25 'eyes' in it, just can't tell from the photograph, crappy camera. Thanks for spotting this, I really appreciate your input.

IAP is a great place.

Bozz in Fair Oaks, CA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom