Snakewood Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from DCBluesman

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
This is snakewood (for those of you who don't recognize it). The blank has been around for quite some time (Thanks, Bill B!) and has been in the low humidity of the Arizona desert and the high humidity of the DC area in August. Who knows if that will be enough to keep it from cracking.

2006222192434_SnakewoodC.jpg

200622219253_SnakeWoodO.jpg

Thanks to all who look and particularly to those of you who wish to comment.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

Nice pen Lou. I too hope the "crack heads" stay away. Did you do anything special (that hasn't already been discussed to death)to help discourage the pen from cracking? Anthony and I agree that we should just turn the snakewood pens, let them set for a month or so, repair the cracks and finish the pen. I've made three that way and none of them have recracked...yet! Looks like the cap is a friction fit. Once again, nice work.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by DCBluesman
<br />This is snakewood (for those of you who don't recognize it). The blank has been around for quite some time (Thanks, Bill B!) and has been in the low humidity of the Arizona desert and the high humidity of the DC area in August. Who knows if that will be enough to keep it from cracking.

JimGo

I like this a lot Lou! It's a neat adaptation of the Baron kit. I especially like the extra shoulder; it gives the pen more character. I think the transition between the ends when closed could be a little more consistent (e.g., the upper barrel has a fairly sharp edge, while th lower barrel has a more rounded edge), and I'm not a huge fan of the sharp edges on the extreme upper and lower ends of the pen. These later nits, though, are certainly personal-opinion issues, and are worth even less than you're paying for my opinion in the first place!

I look forward to seeing this pen in person soon (if it doesn't sell before then)!

Johnathan

Very unique choice for the shape. By the looks of the threads, I don't think it's a friction fit so thats points in my book. I love the look of snakewood but have not been daring enough to try it as of yet. As for my comments, I think the pen looks wonderful. I would love to see both sides meet perfectly flush. If you need to have that little space between them, it would be nice for a wood band or something. Great job![8D]

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Thanks for the generous words of encouragement. The only things I did different with this piece were to drill the blanks over sized so I could paint the interior with CA, pressed the components into the tubes before inserting them and did not put a finish on the wood...at least not yet.

The tube and thread coupler are counter sunk such that the tenon fits inside the upper barrel. FYI, this pen is BIG. The cap is over 0.8" and the lowest end of the bottom barrel is over 5/8". The finny thing is, the slow taper allowed by the tenon added comfort to a friend who has very small hands. It seems that the transition from barrel to tenon and tenon to nib holder fit as well with her hand as it does with mine.

As for those of you who like different shapes, give it a try and show it off. I might borrow the idea!

Ryan

Great looking pen Lou. You can really get an idea how big this is by looking at the tenon. Let us know if it cracks. I hope you have found the answer to the cracking problem. I am really getting the itch to start expirementing with some idea's myself

Ryan

BigRob777

Lou,
Nice pen and blank. I would not have recognized the kit, if I hadn't seen the nib. I bought a gorgeous blank from Ryan, but I'm waiting until I am a better pen turner and especially finisher, before I attempt it. I think it will also be a baron. I hope all is well.
Rob

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Lou,

I think your design is inspired!! PLEASE keep us informed, but with the amount of wood you have designed into the pen, I'm giving you better than 50-50 odds (This from the guy that normally gives less than 10% to snakewood survival!!)

My good wishes are with you! (That and a buck will buy you part of a cup of coffee in NY!)

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Thanks again for all of your generous compliments and well-wishes. If this pen can survive on kind words, I'll have no problems! [8D] Ed, I don't know where you get coffee for a buck in NY, but the last time I was there I paid $4 and it wasn't even Starbucks! But I appreciate the 50-50 odds!

Randy_

Lou: Nice job. I like it!! Must admit that I had exactly the same thought as Jim as soon as I saw the picture and it may be more noticeable in the picture than in real life; but the pen/cap joint when closed looks ??? to me.....can't quite find the right word. Johnathan suggested a preference for both edges to be sharp while having both of them rounded would add a subtle accent element to the closed pen that appeals to me. I'm wondering if you did this on purpose and, if so, why or could you just not make up your mind and try for the best of both worlds??[:D][:D]

Nevertheless, a classic piece....your client should be pleased!!

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Thanks, again, for the compliments, friends. They surely fall like a soft warm rain on these old bones. Jim L (and others)-- between the thickness of the walls and the fact I did all of the pressure fittings outside the wood, I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Of course, if it works I won't know which idea helped. [8D] Rob--the snakewood turns quite well...certainly within your ability. As for the finishing, I haven't even thought about that yet! Ed--thanks for the compliment on the style. I visiting a silversmith friend today and if this sucker doesn't crack he'll make a band for the bottom of the upper barrel. That will cover the roundness of the lower barrel. Randy--I'm not sure how I feel about the rounded/squared off meeting in the middle. I did it so form would fit function. I originally left the bottom squared, but it was very uncomfortable in the hand. This feels much better.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Originally posted by ed4copies
<br />Lou,

My good wishes are with you! (That and a buck will buy you part of a cup of coffee in NY!)

Lou, You missed the part that was supposed to be humorous.[:D][:D][:D]

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Ok..ok, Ed. So old age is rearing it's ugly head again. [:D] (I hate when that happens!) And if you get to the DC area I'll buy you a WHOLE cup of coffee!

OSCAR15

I have turned snakewood and it did crack a few days after assembled...Hope yours don't, but I think if it doesn't it may be a first. This wood seems ta crack if you look at it wrong....

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
I'm not sure when I can quit worrying, Gerry, but I've got another snakewood pen in the works. I agree, Oscar, it's amazing wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom