Snakewood dressed in Continental Gold

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from keepanionme14

keepanionme14

First time I've worked with snakewood. I've read the horror stories, so I took this very slow. Drilled over a weeks time, then coated in thin CA. After letting it sit for another week, I turned them round. Coated in thin CA and let sit for another week. I repeated that process another 3 times until it was to final dimensions. I let it sit for another week after final turning, thinking it would crack. After another week of no cracking, I decided to finish it to what you see. A lot of work, but it sure is a beautiful pen.

Attachments

• 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 291
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RayMcDaniel

First time I've worked with snakewood. I've read the horror stories, so I took this very slow. Drilled over a weeks time, then coated in thin CA. After letting it sit for another week, I turned them round. Coated in thin CA and let sit for another week. I repeated that process another 3 times until it was to final dimensions. I let it sit for another week after final turning, thinking it would crack. After another week of no cracking, I decided to finish it to what you see. A lot of work, but it sure is a beautiful pen.

I love it and I have a piec of snake wood. Can you Ethel a new pen turner what the problems are with turning this material? Thanks:ghost:

Dehn0045

I love it and I have a piec of snake wood. Can you Ethel a new pen turner what the problems are with turning this material? Thanks:ghost:

This is the thread where I first learned about some of the issues: http://www.penturners.org/forum/f13/dragon-pen-snakewood-148220/

I was ready to order a snakewood blank for a dragon pen, but then got scared off. Previously I didn't heed the warnings about buffalo horn cracking, and ended up with a cracked pen that I damaged trying to disassemble. Not gonna make that mistake again :biggrin:

Last edited:

keepanionme14

If this material heats up, in the least, it cracks. If you look at it wrong, it cracks.

I was going to put it up for sale, but am going to hold onto it for another few months to see if it does crack.

keepanionme14

Hi .. I admire the patience .... it's worth it. Can you identify the kit for me? Sorry, it doesn't look like the "continental" from woodcraft... Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

It is a continental pen kit that I bought at the local Woodcraft store. On other sites, I believe it's referred to as Atrax. Here's a Woodcraft link for a chrome one:

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/continental-rollerball-pen-kit-chrome

Here is a link from Berea on their Atrax kit:

Atrax™: Pen Kit Making Supplies Berea HardWoods

Top Bottom