Snakewood with a Black Plastic Hat

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Fangar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fangar

I know that many of you don't like mixing plastics and wood. I have had good results in the past, so I made a Black Acetate capped snakewood, Black TI Baron. All opinions always welcome.

blackandsnakebaron.jpg

Cheers,

Fangar

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Very classy looking... not sure if I would own it because I am not into mixed media, but a classy pen that is well executed and is sure to find a good home
Let us know how the snakewood holds up and did you do anything different when you made it to help alleviate the possibility of splitting.

wayneis

Fangar I think that if you would have brought even a little snakewood up to the cap you would have a better flowing design. I like what you have but IMO you could make it better.

Wayne

Fangar

Originally posted by Old Griz
<br />Very classy looking... not sure if I would own it because I am not into mixed media, but a classy pen that is well executed and is sure to find a good home
Let us know how the snakewood holds up and did you do anything different when you made it to help alleviate the possibility of splitting.

Tom,

I am convinced that the Snakewood cracking is caused by all of the issues that we have hashed out here before (Heat, Press fit pressure etc). For some reason, on the Baron's I have found that the cap is where I get my cracking if there are to be cracks. Actually, this pen is the remnant of the first Snakewood that I posted up a while ago where the cap cracked. This pen has had about 3 different designs. One plastic with a snakewood band, which did not look right, real snakeskin resin cap, which was my attempt at two snakes colliding. No go either. Finally all black with the Platinum that was originally on the kit. The final result was this one. So this body is actually from the original pen and has been dissassembled too many times while holding my breath. That pen was made about 3.5 months ago. Still in good shape. But to answer your question, I will likely open up the tubes to allow for a soft press fit with a small amount of thin CA for final assembly on my future snakewoods. I have two 3/4" snakewood blanks left. Too beautiful of a wood not to try. Also, the enduo finish might help as it does not require the heat generated by the CA. Still haven't had time to try that stuff.

P.S.

This was the other wood / plastic that I made a while back. I have had requests for several similar since then. I make what my repeat customers tell me the like...

moebaron1.jpg

Thanks for all the comments, both positive and negative!

Fangar

Scott

Hi Fangar,

I just really like the look of this pen! I generally don't do mixed media either, but this might convince me to try! It's a pen I would be proud to own!

Scott.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom