Snakewood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from OSCAR15

Status
Not open for further replies.

OSCAR15

2006315131455_snakewood.jpg

javascript:insertsmilie('[:p]')
Tongue [:p]With all that has been posted about snakewood, I thought I'd post a photo of my efforts with this material....Yes, unfortunately, it has a few thin cracks (occuring about 1 week after assembly) and I believe this is a characteristic of this material. I do not know why no one offers these blanks stabilized....Anyways, cracks or not, it makes a beautiful pen. OSCAR

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Johnathan

Yes, that looks great. I would pick this one over your Koa anyday. With Snakewood I would leave the the pen unassembled for a bit, this makes it easier to get it back on the lathe to fill the cracks. What type of finish is this? Nice work.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Beautiful pen. As we say with snakewood, that's a keeper!!!

(Cause if you sell it, it will come back with cracks!)[}:)][}:)]

Skye

Like Johnathan said, you may want to keep the next one unassembled for a while to let it do it's thing. Repair it, let it sit another couple of weeks, check again, assemble.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Oscar,

People have tried to stabilize snakewood, but for some reason stabilization does not work. Rich K did an extensive post on that subject either here or at the Yahoo Forum. The end result was that stabilization did not work.

BigRob777

Nice work. I bought a snakewood blank from Ryan at Woodturningz. I'm going to hold onto it for a while (to use when I get better at penturning and finishing) and when I do turn it, I'll let the barrel sit in my truck for a week, before I finish it, then let it sit there for another week, before I refinish and assemble. Ryan was selling a whole log of the stuff, but I can't do a 2nd mortgage again.[:D] This stuff is gorgeous, but expensive.

I have to agree with Johnathan, I like this even better than the koa. Your shape is better on this one too.
Rob

OSCAR15

Thanks for the feedback....As to the finish (not shown to its best due to my lousy photography) I sanded with MicroMesh down to 3600 grit.
The finish I used was Shellawax. Does a beautiful job, and it retains the feel of the wood. I have tried CA and others, but keep coming back to shellawax. Thanks for the feedback! OSCAR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom