Snakewood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Cwalker935

Cwalker935

I was contacted by a cabinetmaker who asked me to make him a snakewood pen. He was very specific about the kit and the blank. He also specified that I not put any finish on the pen. He intends to apply his own oil to the pen. I used Bruce Robbin's technique for turning snakewood so as to avoid cracking. I sanded to the highest grit that I have and then burnished the wood with a torn off piece from a brown paper bag. It looks like it has a finish.

IMG_2325.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Looks nice Cody.

I have also used the "brown bag burnishing." Works fine.

I believe a demo at my local AAW meeting where Kurt Hertzog presented, he indicated that the "brown bag" burnishing was equivalent to the final Micro mesh pad.

I also found this: http://www.penturners.org/forum/f28/grit-equivalent-paper-bag-35434/

Nice job with the snakewood, not an easy blank. (I'd deliver the pen in a hurry!) :wink:

Cwalker935

Forgive my ignorance. What is the b Robbins method?

Drill slowly starting with smaller bits and gradually work up to the tube size, be careful to make sure that the blank does not heat up.

Set the blanks aside for at least a couple of days.

Do another pass with with the final drill size.

Glue in blanks, turn and finish, be careful to not get the blanks hot when turning and sanding.

Do not press in fittings, ream out the tubes so that the fittings slide in easily nod then glue the fittings in.

The cabinet maker requesting this pen believes that you should never seal snakewood but should use a non drying oil to finish.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Forgive my ignorance. What is the b Robbins method?

Drill slowly starting with smaller bits and gradually work up to the tube size, be careful to make sure that the blank does not heat up.

Set the blanks aside for at least a couple of days.

Do another pass with with the final drill size.

Glue in blanks, turn and finish, be careful to not get the blanks hot when turning and sanding.

Do not press in fittings, ream out the tubes so that the fittings slide in easily nod then glue the fittings in.

The cabinet maker requesting this pen believes that you should never seal snakewood but should use a non drying oil to finish.

Appears that Bruce is quite sensitive to heat, and he has patience! :worship: I do agree with the the press fit when recommended,
as well as to the oil finish (I like filtered "Amish" Walnut oil that is ava in central Ohio). All recomd's are well suited.

Cwalker935

I am happy to report that the cabinet maker is now in possession of his uncracked snakewood pen and is very very happy with the pen. I was worried given his very specific instructions and his very selective approach to picking the blank.

Top Bottom