Snakeskin with Don Ward

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from edstreet

edstreet

I was ask by someone I know from Texas to do a snakeskin pen to match his hat. So after several emails I found a good set to use and that came from Don Ward.

Final shot:
IMG_0404.JPG

Here is some in production.

Unprocessed tubes.
IMG_0339.JPG

Trimming adapter that I made to go with the end mill. Problem is the tube size is not the same as the end mill size, so being a PEN TURNER that I am I said ok slimline tube and cut to size for the upper and lower tube. Game over.
IMG_0281.JPG

TBC setup on my jet lathe
IMG_0275.JPG

IMG_0276.JPG

IMG_0279.JPG

After finished we went with a gent rollerball. Lets look at some of the serious beauty going on here.

Here is some hidden beauty.
IMG_0416.JPG

On now here is the eye candy shots.
IMG_0424.JPG

both+sides.jpg

IMG_0396.JPG

IMG_0421.JPG

IMG_0402.JPG

During production of this pen the person was deployed overseas to Afghanistan. So I packed it up and mailed it out to him. About 2-3 months later it arrived. Sadly I could not get it to him before then. I did not have much time with the pen to really show the details that I wanted so what shots I did get is here. Next one I hope to have better quality images.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

edstreet

Cool pen. It amazes me how you get the join so well hidden

Donovan

The secret is sandpaper, a good clean sharp end mill and a light bulb :)

Hold the blank up to a light bulb and you are looking for light that is between the bushing and the end of the blank. Also rotate it to check other angles. When you find a high spot rub it on some fine grit sandpaper (like 800+ grit) and re-check. Also rotate the bushing on the blank and re-check.

Donovan

The secret is sandpaper, a good clean sharp end mill and a light bulb :)

Hold the blank up to a light bulb and you are looking for light that is between the bushing and the end of the blank. Also rotate it to check other angles. When you find a high spot rub it on some fine grit sandpaper (like 800+ grit) and re-check. Also rotate the bushing on the blank and re-check.

Donovan

islandturner

That is a great blank, a great pen, and great photography to show them off. They are all -- well -- great...! Really well done....!

Top Bottom